Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I'll throw out a couple of options, along with a couple of reviews on them:

The Burris below is a fine scope. My good Buddy owns one and I have handled his rifle so mounted. Very nice combo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/burris_eurodiamond_1-4.htm

I own both these Leupolds and would highly recommend either one for your application. Mine now sit atop a BLR in .450 Marlin and a BLR in .325WSM, a couple of pretty lightweight heavy bangers.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/subscribers/product_review_page/leupold_european_1-4x_2-7x_scopes.htm

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get a small and light weight scope. No 40 or 50 mm lenses. The inertia generated by the recoil of the .375 and other big bruisers, being transfered to the scope, will surely destroy a heavy weight scope in time. Even the high dollar brands. I put a 4X Leupold on mine. A small light weight variable should be OK also, like the Leupold you were considering.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Ive got a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 on my Ruger #1H in .375 H&H. Not a problem with it these last 9 years.

The VX3 1.75 - 6 youre talking about would be a good choice too. Had one on my Ruger #1B 30-06 for a while. Swapped it for a vari x-IIc 3-9 x 40.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What are you going to use it for and how much are you willing to spend? I took a bit of an unconventional approach. I have a Ruger MKII Magnum in 375 H&H and scoped it with a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 with a FC2 reticle (illuminated). These are 30mm scopes. I believe they have replaced the 24 with a 32mm objective. It is my "hunt the world" rifle and I don't consider it as only a DG / close range rig and have proven to myself it isn't. Easily capable of 30-06 trajectories with a lot more whack when it gets there. 375 H&H recoil in a ten pound rifle really isn't that hard on scopes. The Nightforce is not a light scope nor is it inexpensive. I have no worries about reliability. I have put a lot of rounds through it with no issues. The only downside of illuminated reticles (battery powered) is they are not allowed in all hunting areas and they are generally heavier.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Nightforce is an option although I would like to keep the 375 more as a dangerous close rifle with a bit extra reach should it be needed and hence the 1.75-6 option.

Thanks for all you guys input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts