Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna buy a new rifle fo the big EUrope/N.A game
I like quite well the Remington shape( 700 XCR or XS-40).
What would be the bes caliber ??
Can I shoot 375 HH in a 375 RUM rifle ? ( when using it in drive hunting at short distance ?)

Thanks for your support folks!

Phil

P.S : I live in France at the german boarder

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
No, you CAN NOT use a .375 H&H in a .375 RUM. The H&H is a belted mag, and the RUM is beltless. Which one is best, depends on what you are using it for. Ammo prices for the H&H will always be lower, and can be found in more stores. I've never actually seen .375 RUM in a store, so mail order may be your only option there.

There is a substaintial recoil difference between the two, so keep that in mind.

A .375 H&H pushes a 300gr bullet to 2600fps. A .375 RUM pushes a 300gr bullet up to 2900 fps. For most all purposes, the H&H will be the best way to go. But if you like shooting the Loudenboomers as I do, then go with the RUM. Just hold on tight !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Tang ! pretty clear answer! thank you for that.
So let's assume that I go for the 375 RUM. Remington rifle.
Is it sensible to cut the barrel down to , say, 22,5 or 23 inches.? in order to get a more handy gun when hunting in forest? ( I would add weight in the stock anyway to get a 4.5kg weight gun)

Bye

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
Muzzle blast might be a bit much. Tang, how much more powder does the RUM have over the H&H?

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
if you are gonna go for a 22 or 23 inch barrel you might want to look at the 375 ruger as it was intended for a 23" barrel. depending on availability of rifles and ammo locally you might also consider the 376 steyr. i intend to barrel a mauser action to the steyr round one of these days...

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The difference is like 20-22 more grains of H4350 from the Holland and Holland to the RUM.

I know in my .375 H&H if I go from 75 grains of IMR4350 to 76, I start seeing a fireball at the muzzle and its a 24 inch barrel.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The difference is like 20-22 more grains of H4350 from the Holland and Holland to the RUM.

I know in my .375 H&H if I go from 75 grains of IMR4350 to 76, I start seeing a fireball at the muzzle and its a 24 inch barrel.

Use faster powder. Try RL15, it is no where near overbore. RL15 is a much better powder for the .375 H&H, offering better speed and effiency.

Frenchy, cutting down a .375 RUM from 26" to 22" you will lose roughly 200fps +/-. Putting it back into the .375 Ruger category, as was mentioned. The .375 Ruger can be had in a 23" version called the African, or a 20" version called the Alaskan. I would also reccomend going that route. The Ruger Hawkeye is a very nice rifle, accurarte, and built like a tank.

.375 RUM
117.00 gr of water
94gr of IMR4350 gives 2849fps with a 26" barrel with a 300gr bullet (Nosler 6th Edition)

.375 H&H
95.30 gr of water
75gr of IMR4350 gives 2452fps with a 24" barrel with a 300gr bullet (Per Nosler 6th)

·
Registered
50 Posts
A .375 H&H cartridge can reportedly be shot out of a .375 Weatherby if you are short of cartridges but no other .375 cartridges are interchangeable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Tang,
Will those 375s kill rabbits? If they aren't real big of course.:D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
A .375 H&H cartridge can reportedly be shot out of a .375 Weatherby if you are short of cartridges but no other .375 cartridges are interchangeable.
It's a fact.

You can shoot the H&H in a Weatherby chamber. What you get is about 100-200 fps less than an H&H shot from an H&H chamber and a perfect .375 Weatherby casing for reloading when you work the bolt.

The .375 Weatherby has become one of my all-time favorite rounds.....and for good reason.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
It's a fact.

You can shoot the H&H in a Weatherby chamber. What you get is about 100-200 fps less than an H&H shot from an H&H chamber and a perfect .375 Weatherby casing for reloading when you work the bolt.

The .375 Weatherby has become one of my all-time favorite rounds.....and for good reason.
Considering how expensive wby brass is, do a lot of people fireform from H&H brass?

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
if you are gonna go for a 22 or 23 inch barrel you might want to look at the 375 ruger as it was intended for a 23" barrel. depending on availability of rifles and ammo locally you might also consider the 376 steyr. i intend to barrel a mauser action to the steyr round one of these days...
I'll second that! I think the 375 Ruger is the best of the lot!

·
Banned
199 Posts
IMO no point buying a .375 RUM then docking the barrel. The muzzle blast would be horrific and you would lose any potential velocity gain from the bigger round. Other than African plains game, which doesn't require a .375 anyway, I'd go out on a limb and say you'd probably never have to take a shot at such a distance that it couldn't be made comfortably with the H&H. Most big game hunting is done up close and personal.

The extra velocity afforded by the RUM and the Ruger will only flatten the trajectory. Killing power won't be increased by the faster bullet and may even be worse if the extra velocity is too much for the projectile's construction.

I'd go with a .375H&H or if compactness and price is an issue, the Ruger. Use quality 300gn projectiles like the Woodleigh PP and solid for big game.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Use faster powder. Try RL15, it is no where near overbore. RL15 is a much better powder for the .375 H&H, offering better speed and effiency.

Frenchy, cutting down a .375 RUM from 26" to 22" you will lose roughly 200fps +/-. Putting it back into the .375 Ruger category, as was mentioned. The .375 Ruger can be had in a 23" version called the African, or a 20" version called the Alaskan. I would also reccomend going that route. The Ruger Hawkeye is a very nice rifle, accurarte, and built like a tank.

.375 RUM
117.00 gr of water
94gr of IMR4350 gives 2849fps with a 26" barrel with a 300gr bullet (Nosler 6th Edition)

.375 H&H
95.30 gr of water
75gr of IMR4350 gives 2452fps with a 24" barrel with a 300gr bullet (Per Nosler 6th)
That H&H velocity is down a bit on my chrony readings too, 24" barrel though I suppose. Through the 26" barrel on my CZ I get around 2600fps with the 300gr bullet and over 2700 with a .270. Shoots nearly as flat as a .30/06.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Considering how expensive wby brass is, do a lot of people fireform from H&H brass?
I suppose they do.......unless they've figured out just why Weatherby brass is so expensive. It's worlds of quality beyond Remington, Winchester, Hornady, etc. It lasts forever compared to those and requires zero prep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts