Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone see a problem with the Subject conversion? I asked this of SSK and JD responded that "I will have to try one someday but see no reason why it wouldn't work".

This cartridge is available in the Contender so a Marlin should be able to handle it as well. Assuming you used the 444 or 45-70 receiver for the base it seems that feeding shouldn't be a problem. Seems like the data I've seen claims a 220gr bullet at about 2200 fps out of a Contender. I wonder what a 20" barrel would produce?

I know there are other rounds that will meet or exceed these ballistics but that's wha makes a horse race...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bart,the only down side I can see is you are stuck with the flat point bullets,If you realy want to go the route get a Winchester 95 or Browning repo and have JD do it,he will be doing one for me in 416 JDJ.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bart-

I am also interested in a Marlin levergun in .375 JDJ. Have you given this project any more thought? Just curious if you had decided to pursue this idea any farther.

-Matt

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt,

I'll be interested in this one until I get one but funds/priorities might prevail...not to mention opportunities. The bro-in-law recently mentioned that he's thinking of selling his Brownchester 95 in 30-06. A 35 Whelen sounds pretty inviting on that action. leadbutt's mention of spitzers has some merit and got me thinking (a dangerous activity).

One day I'd like to find out what the 375 JDJ really does from the levergun though. Seems like a pretty potent combination. This one on a Savage 99 might be fun too but that action probably wouldn't handle the 444 case. And then there's always a 358 Win...

What's that 416 JDJ capable of from a 22" barrel leadbutt? Is this another 444-based case? Seems like the shoulder might be getting kind of small at this diameter, although probably not any worse than the 300 Sav, 35 Rem, and others. Granted it probably headspaces on the rim but shoulder setback might be a problem to watch for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts