Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm seeking info on the 375 raptor it's on the way should be here in 3 to 4 weeks ..I'm thinking on making my reloadable brass from 358 win instead on 308 or maybe better yet 30-06 brass ...that way I'll never split a neck but I'll need to thin the neck wall....this round is more to my liking than anything else I've seen or herd of

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking for personal experience. .sorry I should have made that clear ..Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know for a fact that the 385 Yeti is a hammer on deer. This should be also.

Is there 358 version? for bullet selection.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've not seen or herd of one in 358 dia .only other one is the 45 raptor. i think the 358 winchester would be hard to beat. I will post pic's soon as it arrives ...I here its a hand full and that this may be the only one sold in the state of Tenn...YEA...I'M. EXCITED

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received my new omega rifle right on time in 375 raptor. . Fantastic beautiful with its x caliber barrel and aimpoint red dot optic in battle worn OD GREEN this is a new kind of fun for me ..and it loves my 235 gr. Speer reloads ..I've used 308,358,and 30-06 to make my reloads with no problems. .

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok let's come up with a beartoothbullets heavy hammer load that keeps the grease in the neck ..any body ..have any ideas

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The problem is that .375 bullets are made for either the 375 Mag or 375 Winchester (flat nose 220 gr). None of those pointed bullets listed will expand on deer sized game (taking most of the energy out the off side). For hunting you will need to use the 220 grian bullets for deer sized game.

I've killed 10 deer with 375 @ 2250 fps...the 375 mag designed bullet just go right thru. Cast bullet 200 gr at 1600 fps are better game rounds. Unfortunately there are no tweener bullets out there.

But the 45 Rapter would seem to have some military value. The 338 Federal is a good game round.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok let's come up with a beartoothbullets heavy hammer load that keeps the grease in the neck ..any body ..have any ideas
If you cast you own, you could take bullets designed for the 375 win and 38-55 and grind off the grease grooves near the front of the bullet to allow you to seat it out further. That is still going to be a flat point bullet, but should allow you to get closer to the lands.

Another option would be to take a cast cullet designed for the 375 H&H and drill a hollow point in the bullet. I would guess this would take some experimenting to get the diameter and depth correct to get the desired amount of expansion for the velocity and game you are shooting

And a last option would be to take a cast designed for the 375 H&H and cut/file a flat point on it. I would think that would also give the desired effect.

Why not just use the 235 Speer? It should really be the perfect bullet for the job. I have had good luck with the 270 gr Hornady Interlock as well. At 2300 fps in my 375 it opened up more than enough to create a good wound without ruining much meat. It certainly carried a lot of energy through the deer as Harry mentioned, probably enough to kill 2 deer behind it if they were lined up, but my 375 has plenty of energy to spare for putting a deer down. Even at 165 yards in this case.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks gents. ..yes I agree the 235 gr Speer is all I'll ever need ...but I like to tinker...I've got a bad case of it ...I do like the idea of using a long bullet and take of the front grove and flatten the point ...that would be no problem. ..but my concern is what powder and charge. ..hmm. .4198 or 1680..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These loads would be used in a bolt rifle ..I believe there are plenty of options.. powders that is ..in a ruger predictor 18 in. Barrel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts