Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;
Haven't been here in a while.
I'm building an electric fence on my place to keep my dogs in and everything else out while at work.
I kinda HATE building fence !
So to ( think good thots ) , I got to thinking about my 375 Whelen AI .
My primary load for it is the 250 gr TTSX , HBN tumbled @ 2500+ fps. It seems to be a very good load.
But, I was thinking about developing a 300 gr load . One I could shoot the 300 gr jacketed and maybe a 300 gr cast boolit in.
I don't have any of my manuals here as they are still in storage.
Anyone have any 300 gr8 data they would be willing to share.
Give me some good thots to think about. !
Thanks in advance.​

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the Raptor case based on. I'm unfamiliar with it.
My Whelen is 06 based.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 375 raptor in based on the 308 winchester. . But I've made them from about any case with a 0. 473 base .. I like the 06 case because it leaves no indent where the 308 win neck is located. . In other words what I consider may be a weak point

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I went up to 2550 fps with the 250 gr TTSX and 250 gr Sierra sptz bt.
Both tumbled in HBN . My barrel is 19" long. The rifle was built in 1974 by Harry McGowan on a military 98 Mauser action. I've shot caribou with it. Worked perfectly. Had I seen a moose or bear it would have worked just as well. The 250s are nice because the drop to 300 yards are easy to remember. But , as the rifle has aperture sights . 200 is about as far as I'll shoot. I want to put it in a Boyd's laminate Classic stock. But haven't got to it yet.
I would like to have a stainless Ruger M77 action to build one on .
I get nervous steppin on the throttle hard with an old Mauser action.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ed Stevenson was intent on selling me his 375 Whelen Ackley Imp but I had a 350 Mashburn Magnum in my left hand and a 458 Lott in my right,,, both on Brno actions. I was in sensory overload and had to pass!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim; how's it going ?
That is Kind of an enviable position to be in !
The Lott would be great if originalot a Win mag. It would have the correct throat.
Didn't u have a 35 Gibbs ?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi All;
I'm building an electric fence on my place to keep my dogs in and everything else out while at work.
My primary load for it is the 250 gr TTSX , HBN tumbled @ 2500+ fps. It seems to be a very good load.
But, I was thinking about developing a 300 gr load . One I could shoot the 300 gr jacketed and maybe a 300 gr cast boolit in.
Thanks in advance.​
Jim; how's it going ?
That is Kind of an enviable position to be in !
The Lott would be great if originalot a Win mag. It would have the correct throat.
Didn't u have a 35 Gibbs ?
Hi All;
Thanks in advance.​
I've been shooting 375 Whelen in a mark X bolt gun for a lot of years without any issues.I'd have to look in my logbook to see if I've ever fired a jacketed bullet. For now I don't think so. I've used cast bullets made in RCBS, Lyman, Saeco, NEI molds All were accurate When I started there was zero loading data and the 35 Whelen was new and shiney so I used that loading data. Try cast bullets they are accurate and hard hitting. I liked the round so much I having a Browing 95 drilled out and rebored to 375 Whelen. When I git back and have some info I put it in here. Good look with the fencing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you ! I went from the 9.3x64 Brenneke to the 338 Win and this 375 Whelen Ackley Improved.
I got tired of unavailable brass.
I can find brass to make these 2 carts almost Anywhere !
A 95 Winchester.
Ed Stevenson used a 375 Whelen or Hawk/Scoville. Which could be the rifle he was wanting Waterrat to take off his hands.
Mine is shortish barreled, 19" so I loose some velocity. But I seem to still have plenty enough. And it's a very handy rifle to have along.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thank you ! I went from the 9.3x64 Brenneke to the 338 Win and this 375 Whelen Ackley Improved.
I got tired of unavailable brass.
I can find brass to make these 2 carts almost Anywhere !
A 95 Winchester.
Ed Stevenson used a 375 Whelen or Hawk/Scoville. Which could be the rifle he was wanting Waterrat to take off his hands.
Mine is shortish barreled, 19" so I loose some velocity. But I seem to still have plenty enough. And it's a very handy rifle to have along.
Morning, I have three mod 95s one is 30=06 one will be 375 Whelen and one is 405 Win. Middle Grandson will be getting these when I no longer need them. All three are or will be cast bullet guns with their own molds, with their own loading dies with a note book with the loading data for that rifle, bullets erc.. I started this with the 375 Whelen bolt gun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts