Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 94 Big Bore 375 Winchester the other day.  This is my first experience with this caliber and I have not found an abundance of load data.  I have a box of Winchester factory ammo and got some brass and Hornady 220 gr. bullets on the way.  I am also interested in cast bullets for this cartridge, mabey duplicating some 38-55 loads.  If anybody had some preferred loads or advice I would be glad to hear it.  Thanks, Ted

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ted - are you from Huntamerica? Anyway, start scrolling back on the past pages(numbers at the bottom of the Levergun main page) and you will find the .375 Win topics. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ted-

Just to let you know that the .375 Winchester brass is on Winchester's "seasonal" list for production.  The brass is currently available from many sources like Midway, Graff's, Weidener's and MidSouth, but may dry up again in the future for quite some time.  It might be a good idea to stock up on some brass.

The post that Cub mentioned was posted in January, 2001 and is titled "375 Winchester."  Mr. Stanton listed two loads with the BTB 250g LFNGC .377 dia bullet.  They are both worth looking into as they outpace anything else I have seen listed for the 375 Win with a 250 grn bullet.

The best powders seem to be RL-7 and AA-1680 for this cartridge.  A check of my manuals shows load data listed by Barnes, Hornady, Accuate Arms, Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hodgdon.  In jacketed bullets Hawk has the best selection in F/P's listing a 180 grn, 200 grn, 250grn, and 270 grn; although I doubt you could beat the performance of the BTB 250 grn LFNGC at 2200 fps that Mr. Stanton has worked up in his rifles.

Good Luck,

-Dutch

·
Registered
471 Posts
As for loads duplicating 38-55 WCF, my experimenting gave me a range of something like 18.0 - 28.0 gr of Re7  giving me a velocities of about 1350 - 1800 fps.  The bullet was the 260gr RNFPGC from Bonus Bulllets.  I stopped at 18.0 gr but probably could have gone lower.  The case is starting to get pretty empty at this point...a kapok filler might be in order beyond this.  Accuracy in my Marline stayed pretty much constant at it's usual 3-4 inch at 100 yd.  Marshall warns of keyholing at lower velocities but I didn't experience that problem.

Happy Trails...

Bart

·
Banned
40 Posts
Ted,
You might be interested in a post some time ago by Bartmasterson  and Marshall.
http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin....7;t=287

excellent info on fire forming 375 brass from 30-30's. I tried it in my 336CB 38-55 and now have a goodly supply of 375 stuff to plink with.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good info on the case availablity - I just order 500 from Midway. After shipping fees to Alaska it worked out to .35c a case.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ordered the same amount when I picked up my .375 Big Bore last year.  Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.  It's sitting at Williams Gunsite waiting for a new F/P receiver site; a victim of their backorders.

Cub, have you had a chance to try Marshall's 250 grn load with RE-7 at 2200 fps yet?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not yet, I am still waiting for my BTB bullet. I have some Cast performance that should be here Monday.  I went with a Marbles Tang on my Win. M-94 BB. Liked it better then a W. FP.  Although I had to go with the Williams on my 1886 and I have one for my .30-30 and .444 Timber carbin.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fella's for all the information and advice.  I think tomorrow I will finally be able to get out and shoot this thing.  My brass and bullets have yet to arrive so I will be only shooting the factory stuff.  I did get my hands on a bunch of 30-30 brass though so I will give fireforming a try.  Thanks again, Ted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts