Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at trying some 250 gr. jacket bullets in my 375 Win. The only ones that I have found so far are the Barnes Original. I have not been able to locate any load data for a jacketed 250 bullet either. What kind of velocity would one expect with that bullet out of a 94 BB? Where could I find some load data for such a bullet? Thanks, Ted

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
This will ramble a bit...but I'll get to it eventually.

Don't have a 375 Win, but do have a modern eara 38/55 Win. 94. The factory loads are pretty tame, and I will often buy a box of factory 255gr. JSP's, pull the bullets, dump the factory charge, and reload them over 35gr. of 3031 for about 1750fps. Know that seems wastefull but I shoot so few bullets actually at game, its cost effective for me to just buy two boxes of factory shells every so often (and it replaces the cases that are getting a bit tired).

Tried the same loads with .377" Barns Originals. They work...but I'd give Hawk Labs a look-see (have a good on-line site). You'll want bullets in the .375" range rather than the larger .377-.378" sizes offerend (by a few) for the old 38/55.
---------
Will mention that the WW factory bullet is a bit lightly constructed for the addev velocity of high-pressure loads, They actaully do expand at the factory loads sub-1300fps loading...they tend to over expand at short range when driven 500fps faster. Still work on white-tail deer, but I'd prefer something a bit more stout for bigger critters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might try the Barnes manual! It lists loads with H4198, H322, IMR3031, W748, and RL7. Max velocities about 1900 fps with the 255 gr. Pick your powders and I will post some loads for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out the Barnes reloading manual.It has data for ther 255 grain jacketed bullets.Also the Lyman #47 has loads for cast bullets in that weight range.That would give you a starting point.I have a 375 and have been working with 250 grain cast bullet.Let me know how you make out.Jeff Taylor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been looking for load data with AA-1680 and the Barnes 255 grn Original, but haven't come across that combination yet. Has anybody tried AA-1680 with this bullet? Seems like it should work quite well, possibly an even 2000 fps?:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts