Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
474 Posts
The heaviest bullets I've used in the 375 Win are the 300gr from Mt Baldy. These have about the widest nose of any flat point bullet I've ever seen. It's been a while since I shot them and I don't recall the load but they were some serious thumpers. Even the light loads pushed back on the butt stock pretty hard. I believe these would be suitable for anything on this continent within 50 yd. Don't recall seeing anything as heavy as you mention before but I'd have to agree that case capacity would start getting shy. Loaded in 38-55 cases in a single shot might help that situation some.

· Registered
474 Posts
exflatlander,

I've never loaded this bullet before. Most of my loads have been 220, 250 and 260, plus the 300's. These latter loads ranged from 28.0 - 29.5gr Re7. I didn't chrony them but like I said, they are hammers. They could probably be pushed a little harder but I stopped there because they are sized a little on the large side, left over from some 38-55 experiments I was doing a while back. Regarding recoil and the 300gr Mt Baldy's, when I shot the 29.5gr loads I had just bought my Marlin GG and I'd have to say that felt recoil from the 20" 375 was about as heavy as stiff 300gr JHPs in the GG.

· Registered
474 Posts
I agree that the 250-260 gr range is optimal for this cartridge. And your's at 2100fps would be a pretty good thump. But that big 300gr flat nose, at close range would be bad news for anything that walks this continent. Maybe not ideal in everybody's mind, but serious all the same. As for 350gr I think case capacity would suffer. Even with the 250 it's pretty tight, thus the use of 38-55 brass in some of my loads.

This is a highly underated cartridge that should be way more popular than it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.