Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where .38-40 ammo can be obtained at a reasonable price? How does the cartridge compare ballistically to the .44-40?

Regards to all,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
247 Posts
Timberwolf,I have had to go to hand loading for it here in my area,box of fifty is around 60$. Good way to look at the ole 38-40 IMO,is like a lite 10mm load or closer to the 40S&W round as they use the same slugs

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Timberwolf:
Winchester's site has the ballistics for it and the .44-40.
http://www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfrifle.eye

Starline has brass and Hornady has data for loading with their .40 S&W bullets. Likely others do as well.
http://www.starlinebrass.com/

Lyman still makes their 401043 mould, which likely predates that new-flanged smokeless powder.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/Default.htm
Click on casting, then scroll down to "For available Pistol Moulds click here."

$60 a box :( OUCH! Wholesale Sports is $52 a box Canadian.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
554 Posts
Ballistically, there's very little diff. Same case (necked down .027) as the 44-40, making it really a "40-40" (vs. "43-40").

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information fellows. I am a fan of many of the "old west" cartridges, and the .44-40 and the .38-40 are two of them. I understand that in the old days they killed their share of deer and bear.

Much appreciation,
Timberwolf :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
For close range they do real well on deer and such,and have used my marlin on two small pigs,My New Service is an old Border patrol pistol ,and who knows what it saw!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you like you can go to Sixgunner.com for an article on the 38-40 and also load data for the same.
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt3840.htm
I don't know the gun you are using, but mine is a Ruger Vaquero available from Davidsons the last time I checked. In a new gun which is save with inceased pressures the 38-40 is right on the heels of the 41 Mag. How about 1350 fps with a 170 gr. bullet, or a T/C Contender 180 gr. JHP at 1771 fps.
Again this is load data for strong modern guns as pointed out in John Taffin's tests. I also like the old calibers and in modern guns I can see precious little advancement with the advent of the current "magnums" . The Linabough calibers are an obvious exception as is the Cassull, which have very high chamber pressures.
Good shooting, injoy your 38-40
Ed

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
UltraMax makes cowboy action loads for your 38-40 and are a good way to get the starline brass if you want to bear the price of new ammo. I think I paid about $23/50 for the stuff I got. These loads are very mild. I think I got mine from Cabela's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Timberwolf? Where do you live? Others in the same location may have a good source for .38-40 ammunition and components.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in Indiana and I would appreciate any information about any sporting goods store, etc. in the state that would carry the 38-40.

Thanks and regards to all,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I just checked Cabelas if you can't find it locally and the 38-40 loads are 19.99/box 50. 180gr lead RNFP in new starline brass.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a million Kcih. I was unaware that Cabella's sold 38-40 ammo. Do you know if they sell any with enough potency to take a whitetail inside of 50 yards? I have been told that Winchester used to load a "hot" .38-40 load but they have since gone to the rather light Cowboy loads. Any truth to this?

Thanks fellow sportsmen,
Timberwolf :cool:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm pretty certain you're going to have to load them for that purpose or have someone do it for you if you don't. I'm pretty certain they don't make rifle load anymore because they could find their way into antique guns and turn them into a hand grenade. Thank your resident idiots and the lawyers who feed off them for this type of thing. I have some loads that I shoot in my Ruger Buckeye 38-40 revolver that go nearly 1400fps with a 180 that I would shoot a deer at 50yds with if it's all I had to shoot it with. I personally would even shoot a bear (black and under 300-350 lbs) with this if I was in a secure tree stand. I'm sure something similar in your rifle(?) would do a good job. The data in the Taffin article mentioned here is good stuff.

·
Banned
10 Posts
38-40

I like the 38-40--its romantic and in the old model 92 lots of fun to shot.
Where could i get a cylinder for a vaquor and have it reamed for the 10mm and installed?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Does anyone know where .38-40 ammo can be obtained at a reasonable price? How does the cartridge compare ballistically to the .44-40?

Regards to all,
Timberwolf
You might try www.midwayusa.com as they "Might" have some in stock. The .38-40 is not as good as the .44-40 WCF if you are planning to hunt Deer sized game. I have a Rossi Puma in .44-40 and use 200 grainers with IMR-4227 powder and it is very accurate and powerful enough for Deer at < 75 yards. The .38-40 has less bullet weight and muzzle energy, but with a careful shot it will kill Deer sized game.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The original post is more than 7 years old...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts