Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experiance with this round? It is a necked down 45acp case to .357 I know it was developed in the early 60's and had some popularity in the 80's. I just got a barrel and dies off of ebay and am interested in anyone elses experiance with the round.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Played with one in the 1970's. A fustrating round at the time. Be careful, there is some hot-load data that tends to blow .45acp cases at the feed ramp. Used as a low velocity lead bullet launcher, it can give respectable accuracy...run to the load limits of the day (and back then, pressure testing wasn't common) it can bite you.

If I were to go in the direction of fast loads, would be very careful with the base-case selected for conversion to 38/45.

Only managed to blow three rounds of handgun ammo. A .38 super let go (with factory ammo)...a .22LR let go in a pocket pistol...and a 38.45 let go. Use Pach. grips...I didn't, and had some wood spliters jutting out of the BACK of my hand after the .38super blew a case...the .38/45 had pacy. grips, and the steel insert is a hand-saver (the grips "puff up" and slap the devil out of you, but no real harm).

Load data? No...set it up to run right with cast lead bullets, a very weak recoil spring, and stopped adding powder when cycling and accuracy were good. took a bit more than .38WC loads to get the old converted Remington-A1 to work, but even 148gr. solid base WC ammo would feed.

I got to be qa prety good shot...bought a Clark .38wadcutter gun...converted the Rem. back to .45acp, and sold the barrel and dies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts