Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's fine old 1894 has a serial number indicating a 1918 date of manufacture.
It has always shot well with Winchester factory 255 grain loads. I pulled one of these bullets and it measured .377.
I have NOT attempted to slug the barrel, and I'd like to avoid doing that, because I'd have to do it from the muzzle end and drive the slug all the way through. If I must do it, though, I'll use a wooden dowel rod and a lead round ball that is just barely is slightly oversize, well lubed in an also well lubed barrel.

However - the .377 jacketed bullet seems slightly oversize at the muzzle, (probably due to lands).

Question - since it has seemed to do well with the factory rounds, may I safely use .377 jacketed bullets loaded to slightly better velocities, (ABSOLUTELY not hot-rodded - this is a treasured family heirloom)?

Also, does anybody have a line on bulk jacketed .377 bullets, (where to get 'em)? Midway has Barnes originals, but I'd like to see if I can get some Winchesters in bulk, or for that matter, any make in bulk.

Thanks in adavnce.

·
Registered
584 Posts
At .377 dia, most companies have Barnes 255grn 38-55 bullets.

AmmoSale has them for $47.00 /50 bullets.

Graf & Sons has them for $46.99 / 50 bullets.

LG Outdoors has them for $48.24 /50 bullets.

Natchez has them for $40.00 / 50 bullets.

Wholesale Hunter has them for $47.00 / 50 bullets.

If you can go .375 dia, Sierra makes a 200 grn FP Pro Hunter and Hornady makes a 220 grn FP bullet.

AmmoSale has Sierra 200 grn for $19.00 /50 bullets.
AmmoSale has Hornady 220 grn for $35.00 / 100 bullets

Graf & Sons has Sierra 200 grn for $18.39 / 50 bullets.
Graf & Sons has Hornady 220 grn for $36.99 / 100 bullets

Huntington has Sierra 200 grn for $17.89 /50 bullets.
Huntington has Hornady 220 grn for $37.51 / 100 bullets.

Wholesale Hunter has Sierra 200 grn for $18.39 / 50 bullets.
Wholesale Hunter has Hornady 220 grn for $35.00 / 100 bullets.

These are just a few of the places I found doing a Google search of Barnes 38-55 255 grn bullets.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
This site...

Ever notice how there aren't any "pop ups" or a clutter of advertizers on this site?

One man foots the bill...and he happens to cast the best bullets I've come across. Been casting for about 40 years, the stuff i've ordered from here has been as good as my best efforts (and I weight checked, spoend the evening with a micrometer, and even spun-tested a few).

So while it may not ship right away, take a look at the 375/38-55 selection...available in sizes all the way to .380" (and I've had 38-55's that really prefered .379"-.380" bullets).
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Excellent bullets from Beartooth!

Ever notice how there aren't any "pop ups" or a clutter of advertizers on this site?

One man foots the bill...and he happens to cast the best bullets I've come across. Been casting for about 40 years, the stuff i've ordered from here has been as good as my best efforts (and I weight checked, spoend the evening with a micrometer, and even spun-tested a few).

So while it may not ship right away, take a look at the 375/38-55 selection...available in sizes all the way to .380" (and I've had 38-55's that really prefered .379"-.380" bullets).
Well said!

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I won't be all that surprized to wake-up dead when I have casted a bullet that will equal what Beartooth has to offer. Sized to fit too!

Very good news for you Nathaniel! You asked your question on the right board!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
140 Posts

Wow sorry you are right the best bullet you can buy are right here. I was thinking more bulk shooting. Please forgive my stupidity.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you slug using a round ball ,drill a hole the center. It will give somewhere for the lead to compress. I've used egg sinkers ,they already have a hole down the center. The 38-55 has the biggest variance of any other caliber. I would slug before you order any bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts