Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Marlin 336 in .38-55 and am planning on using Beartooth 250gr. G.Ck. bullets. My questions are 1) what diameter would you have them sized to using the Marlin ? 2) to what pressure can the 336 bre loaded to? As of late I've seen a number of articles that say using the 336 one should be able to get a 250gr. bullet up to 2000 fps. but the only load I've seen is one using H322 and a velocity of approx. 1830 fps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Midnight Rider,

Of late, in the Marlin .38-55's, we've found that .378" is the best sizing for these guns.  The Ballard type cut rifled barrels are very uniform, but often, as mentioned many places here will benefit from lapping to releive the constrictions in the bore where it is compressed due to dovetails cut into the barrel.

Loads using RL-7, H322, H335 and AA 2015 will all get you into the velocity range you are hoping to acheive.  There are some excellent loads in <a href="www.LoadSwap.com" target='_blank'>www.LoadSwap.com</a> as well as lots of information on <a href="www.sixgunner.com" target='_blank'>www.sixgunner.com</a>, also with a goodly dose of loading data.

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,  thank you  for your reply. It has put me on the right track and I appreciate it very much. I also appreciate the rapid reply, .378 it is.  Respectfully M.R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts