Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited my great grandmas gun. Yes you read that right. This gun was a wedding gift from my great grandpa to my great grandma. My grandpa passed this summer and left me this piece of family history. I don't know all that much about my great grands as they had passed long ago. My great grandfather was in his 70s when grandpa was born. Grandpa passed at age 80 this year so great grandpa would have been 150+ today.

I'm hoping some of you guys who know old colts can weigh in. From my research so far this seems to be a model 1902 military but it does not have the lanyard loop. Also the serial number is only 4 digits starting with a 3. This doesn't seem to jive with the ranges I've seen.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The serial number and the rounded corner of the grip frame falls into the Sporting Model of 1902 rather than the Military Model.

It would be great to know where this nice old Colt has been.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Don't know much about Colts, especially these, but I do know there are hundreds of folks who are crazy about them and there should be a ton of info out there, including possible factory records on the individual gun. If you have not, I would start at www.coltcollectors.com Be forwarned, there is a very scary picture of the Old Man that pops up.:eek:
Good luck in your search.:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Mainspring. I know its been in my family for nearly 100 years now if not more. A great uncle may have carried it as a duty pistol in some type of rural law enforcement but we don't have details. For the last 30-40 years its been in a box under grampa's bed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts