Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
38S&W ?

I have an unmarked arm, as to caliber. There were five .38 Short Colt loads in the cylinder when I received it. I had to dispose of them to fly back with the gun. I followed all the rules but wish I had saved the loaded stuff. I have an old box of fired .38 Short Colt from Remington. Is this the same as .38 S&W and .38 Colt New Police? COTW wasn't clear enough to suit me. I have some live rounds marked .38 S&W that seem to fit. The loaded length was "1.170. The empties seem to be "0.770 long. Will these calibers be the same? I am aware gun manufacturers liked to have their own name on their guns and ammo even when they were interchangeable with their competitors. 1. What cases can be used to load this? 2. Who regularly carries the dies? 3. Can .38 Special be resized in .38 Short Colt dies? This old Owl's Head will talk again. I don't know it's history. The previous owner started as a professional ice hockey player in the late forties. Then in New York City he was a bellhop. Then on to bartender and hotel management in Chicago. Then to Kansas City as manager of various clubs. If this gun only spoke english!

· Registered
351 Posts
Thanks, J M

I may do a chamber casting. The Short Colt ammo was in the cylinder when I got the piece. The .38 S&W fits in it too. The chamber casting is the only way I know of checking it out. I can make a .358 Hollow base wadcutter in my swage. My hollow base is shallow with a heavy wall. I could send for a deeper, more standard base punch. That is around $20.00 and gives me a wider choice of tools. With the deep hollow base I can have obturation even with the low intensity of the S&W or Colt. I suspect the use of only 3 or 4 grains of Unique in this case. I will go back and check after I know which case to use. The shortened Special case would be nice. I have a .38 Special die set that is never used that can be ground shorter. Thanks again....... 'Dito ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.