Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently added a S&W M-686 to my arsenal and am looking for some nice light target loadings. I've tried some loads with a 158gr SWC and 3.3 gr of Bullseye, but it seems they are still a little heavy on the recoil for my combat league shooting. I've got a pretty extensive inventory of powder- Titie-group, W-231, Unique, Clays, 700x. I suppose I could go through all of these and try their lightest loadings, but I thought maybe some of you would have some suggestions to save me some time.

Also- When purchasing my dies I noticed that RCBS offers taper crimp and rolled crimp. I bought the rolled crimp, but was wondering if the heavier the crimp, would produce more recoil.

·
Super Moderator
9,516 Posts
If there is no power facotr or minimum load allowed, can go as low as 2.5gr. of either Bullseye or 700X and still have a reasonably accurate load. Bullets generally will exit the barrel with loads as low as 2gr. but accuracy usually sucks.

Best way to reduce reoil is to reduce bullet weight...gives a bigger recoil reduction that less velocity

When I load to this light elvel, get better accuracy with the swaged lead bullets than with hard cast....in fact, if I want an accurate and low recoil load, will generally just load a 148gr. HBWC over 2.5gr. of 700X.

Think the crimp type, at this level of loading, shouldn't make much velocity/recoil difference. A hard roll crimp is better for slow powders that are hard to get bruning well...but with fast powders, a strong crimp isn't a "must". Taper crimps are probably more useful with fast powders, but you can adjust that roll crimper to put a light level of crimp...just need enough to keep the bullets secrure under recoil.

-------------
Have to mention...3.3gr. of Bullseye under a 158gr. bullet shouldn't give uncomfortable recoil levels.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you are only cutting paper & want a mild load why not try a 148 gr LWC over 3.3 gr of Unique? Makes nice clean holes, easy to score.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll give some of your suggestions a whirl. I may have crimped my cases a bit hard (difficult to change my mindset from loading my .454 Casull rounds). I'll try less crimp as well.

The recoil was not terribly uncomfortable with the 3.3gr Bullseye loads, I was just expecting them to feel lighter since they were the bottom of the loading level in my recipe book. In my opinion the muzzle jump and felt recoil seemed heavier than my normal weapon I use for this league, .45ACP Springfield. I was hoping that the .38 Spl would allow a faster return to target and since it is a revolver, I could load light loadings which obviously would not affect the action like on the 1911 .45 ACP.

I'll ask some of the other shooters in the league what kind of loads they're cooking up as well since it seems most of them are shooting the .38 Spl.

Thanks Again.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
I've got a tack drivin' load for my model 14 and my 28:

try 3.8grains of Hodgdon's Universal clays and a 148 grain wadcutter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If your 686 has wood grips throw them away . For your 45 try a 9-11# recoil spring with 153 gr bullets loaded with around 5.5 gr of 231 and the gun will shoot flat and for some added excitement while running through your stage you can watch the slide run

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use 3.2 of Bullseye or 3.4 of Unique over a swagged 148 grain HBWC. Good clean holes, light recoil, and good accuracy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts