Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
674 Posts
Con, ammo availability and price
Pro, fun to shoot, especially in the new guns, my old one was reliable but at 50 yards I could barely keep it on paper from a rest. Today shooting offhand if I can't keep all the shots inside the 7 ring its my fault not the gun.

·
Registered
490 Posts
the super and its cousins are great rounds. accurate and easy to shoot and reload. if the gun is a 1911 type you may want to try getting a second extractor fit to handle the rimless rounds(9x23,9mm super comp, 38 super comp, 38 tj and others i am sure i am missing). my own super shoots the rimless better(functioning) but i have had others that ran long days with no fuss with the rimmed cases.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have an STI Steel Master in 38 Super Comp, very fun and fast. You've got to handload to take potential of this round, but its worth it.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I had a South American clone of a 1911 in 38 Largo that shoot 38 Supers extremely well. Wish I hadn't sold it now. To me it had more power than a 9mm Luger.

Jerry

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sir,

As far as locading is concerned, Neck tension and the taper crimp seem to be problematic for me. I've introduced an additional step in trying to push the bullet in the case with my finger. I average one per 50 rounds.

The guns shoot easy, and are accuratte enough. Seems reliable enough.

Steve

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Just a little background for the .38super.

In the old days (and i don't know when it changed...probably in the late 1970's/early1980's), Colt was the only .38super game in town (lets exclude the 9mm largo/Bergmann) and Colt used the tiny semi-rim to headspace.

Accuracy was hit-or-miss, and we all knew it back then. That little semi-rim just didn't always catch the little recess in the top of a 1911-type barrel hood. Now understand, because of the design of the 1911, it would fire even it it was way-way deep in the chamber (that long inertia pin takes care of a lot of problems that way), but accuracy was poor.

So what did the old-timers do? Either ream the chamber a little deeper, add an insert, then rechamber that insert to act as a case-mouth headspacer or seat lite weight SWC's so that the sharp edge of the SWC shoulder contacted the rifling and kind-of-headspaced. If you had a lot of time, could cut and trim .351WSL to whatever length it took to get to the bottom of the Colt chamber and use that to headspace, but even by 1970, .351WSL brass wasn't real common.

By the time some others were chambering the .38super, they decided to use the end of the case to headspace (same as the 45acp does). Colt followed as well. Accuracy got a lot better.

With that background, and understanding that the .38super NEEDS a more positive headspacer than that rinky-dink semi-rim, its performance is enough ahead of the 9X19 to make it worth the doing.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Just a little background for the .38super.

In the old days (and i don't know when it changed...probably in the late 1970's/early1980's), Colt was the only .38super game in town (lets exclude the 9mm largo/Bergmann) and Colt used the tiny semi-rim to headspace.

Kind of sucked, and we all knew it back then. That little semi-rim just didn't always catch the little recess in the top of a 1911-type barrel hood. Now understand, because of the design of the 1911, it would fire even it it was way-way deep in the chamber (that long inertia pin takes care of a lot of problems that way), but accuracy was poor.

So what did the old-timers do? Either ream the chamber a little deeper, add an insert, then rechamber that insert to act as a case-mouth headspacer or seat lite weight SWC's so that the sharp edge of the SWC shoulder contacted the rifling and kind-of-headspaced. If you had a lot of time, could cut and trim .351WSL to whatever length it took to get to the bottom of the Colt chamber and use that to headspace, but even by 1970, .351WSL brass wasn't real common.

By the time some others were chambering the .38super, they decided to use the end of the case to headspace (same as the 45acp does). Colt followed as well. Accuracy got a lot better.

With that background, and understanding that the .38super NEEDS a more positive headspacer than that rinky-dink semi-rim, its performance is enough ahead of the 9X19 to make it worth the doing.
-----

Now one more tale from Grand-pa:

The only combat match i ever got tossed out of was becasue of the .38super (and because Grand-pa is a bit hard headed).

Had brought the wrong ammo...all i had was some unmentionable experimental loads using WW296. But it cycled, was powerful enough, and I wanted to shoot that match.

At one stage, they had targets at about arms length...and i set fire to them. Besides a safety issue, you can't score a burned down target.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts