Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a .38 super for Range use, long range handgun shooting, short range match shooting and small game hunting. That being said should i get the .38 super of just stick with the 9mm?

·
Banned
502 Posts
The Super can be better than the 9mm, if you handload. I am not sure if the Super will fit the bill for your different interests. I used my 38 Super for the 50 yard range and occasionally carried for protection. I don't find any of the 9mm that would be a universal pistol. I have Browning Hi Power, excellent 9mm and very dependable, A Star Super Star, carried like the STar PD for protection and a SIG P229 which works on the combat range.

Jerry

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
It is "better"...but how much better?

Understand, have owned a few 38supers and quite a few 9mm's...so long as they are in a gun "beefy" enough to take top loads, there is a difference, but not a whole bunch. Is a lot of over-the-rop 38super load data out thee (thanks for nothing Speer #9), but even with resonable loads the super is still a bit ahead of the 9mm.

ACCURATE .38supers are harder to come by. mOld guns tend to headspace from the semi-rim, and with a Colt systems rinky-dink barrel hood, that's hit-or-miss. No real harm harm other than crappy accuracy, but i'd go for a post 1990 made pistol (as most of them by then had figured out the hit-or-miss headspace issue).

Personally, I like the 38super case better...less variation in dimetions, "straighter" (the 9mm really is a tapered case) and they run GREAT dupicating 9mm speeds (meaning they are under stressed/long long lived when just tossing 9mm speeds).

How far? Depends on accuracy...but given an accurate load, would be quite far. 75 yard hits on oil cans...a whole oot tepends on how good/young your eyes are and how well you've got control of the trigger.
---------

Way-way back "in the day" would trim .351WSL to whatever length made it headspace from the case mouth and not the little semi-rim that Colt used in their old pistols. With those cut cases, lighter recoil springs, mild loads, and cast 130-140gr SWC bullets, could match the accuracy of top-grade custom .45acps handguns.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Love the ole 38 super, carried a 1911 with one of Bar-Sto' barrels in them to correct the head space problem, all so carried one build by Sweenson, all ways hand loaded for it before the bug a boo about carrying those for SD reared its head. Never tried the 351 case, bet it worked well, did used to use .357 slugs in a pinch,old timers who trained me swore by it,to me less recoil than the 45acp,in same size gun , a round or two more, and the hotter rounds have cleanly taken deer and small pigs, not counting a yote ot two along the way,and one LARGE snake with hard ball.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Wildcat,
Get yourself a good .357 magnum revolver, or if you can
handle it, a .44 magnum. These guns are versatile because you can
shoot .38 specials in a .357 and .44 specials in a .44 magnum. The
good revolvers are accurate and powerful. If you want to hunt or shoot
far you can load full house magnum loads.

Zeke

·
Banned
502 Posts
I like a good revolver for many things, but I thought we were talking about the 38 Super cartridge, which I think the only interchangeable cartridges for the 38 Super is the orginal 38 Colt Auto and the 9mm Largo.
The 38 Autos are like shooting a 38 Spl in a 357 Mag and the Largo cartridges are hard to find and the old stuff is corrosive.

Jerry

·
Registered
513 Posts
supers or the super comp (which are the same thing without the rim) can with a ramped barrel can just about duplicate a 357 mag load. in competition i have shot them at 50 yard targets in a hurry(2 rounds in 2 seconds or less) and found it to be accurate. sti,svi,springfield and para-ordnance are all available with hi-cap mags. i know i have one particular mag that holds 26 rounds. many gunsmiths offer guns pre assembled or packages such as dawson precision as one example.
do not purchase a super without the ramped barrel as the full potential will not be able to be realized. as an example my super load with my powder isn a ramped barrel with a compensator is 3 grains over listed max load or 30% more powder. now i did not randomly try this load and wouldnt suggest it , it was given to me by the man who built the gun and there are many many thousand rounds through it with no adverse conditions to gun because of it.
so enjoy super and shoot it often as it is a great round for all that you want it for

·
Inactive
597 Posts
I finally got the components I need for my .38 super. Does anyone have good data for the hornady 124gr xtp loaded in front of Power Pistol? I've checked the loadswap site and can't seem to find anything. This is for a stock lightweight commander manufactured in 1997 and purchased new a couple of years ago. Thanks in advance.

Deck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hornady's 7th edition has a starting load of 5.5 for Power Pistol. Max is 7.1 for 1250 FPS but that is out of a 5" barrel. They used Remington brass and Win WSP. Max OAL is 1,280".

Hope this helps.

45XXX

·
Banned
674 Posts
Only plinked and hunted with mine, don't remember shooting for score but did a lot of plinking. For chuckles and giggles my buddy wanted to shoot his 357 at a 200 yard rifle target and by aiming at the center of the top frame I kept most of my shots in about a 30" group just above the black. His group was right on top of mine or mine on his. We couldn't tell which holes were whose. I could do better today but I was just starting then and I really didn't think that little bullet would go that far.

·
Banned
20 Posts
A good 1911 in .38 Super is a great long range target/plinker gun. My Les Baer P-II in .38 Super is amazingly aaccurate at 50 yards and I shoot it more accurately than I do my .357 mag revolver.
It's a handloaders caliber though, factory ammo is wimpy and expensive.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I finally got the components I need for my .38 super. Does anyone have good data for the hornady 124gr xtp loaded in front of Power Pistol? I've checked the loadswap site and can't seem to find anything. This is for a stock lightweight commander manufactured in 1997 and purchased new a couple of years ago. Thanks in advance.

Deck
My Sierra manual lists a 125 JHP (they don't specify brand) loaded to a COL of 1.215" with 6.2 grains Power Pistol = 1,150 fps as a starting point going up to a max of 7.8 grains = 1,350 fps.
ETA, Sierra loads list Winchester WSR primers.
I don't get near max, so I use small pistol primers.

·
Banned
95 Posts
A good 1911 in .38 Super is a great long range target/plinker gun. My Les Baer P-II in .38 Super is amazingly aaccurate at 50 yards and I shoot it more accurately than I do my .357 mag revolver.
It's a handloaders caliber though, factory ammo is wimpy and expensive.
Amen to all the above. Have a Caspian in .38 super,officer's frame with a heavy match barrel.Deadly accurate,a pleasure to carry concealed. As hot as any .357 revolver,I traded two S&W .357's and a Kimber .45 to pay for part of it.Not a bit sorry,don't miss the Revolvers at all.;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like a good revolver for many things, but I thought we were talking about the 38 Super cartridge, which I think the only interchangeable cartridges for the 38 Super is the orginal 38 Colt Auto and the 9mm Largo.
The 38 Autos are like shooting a 38 Spl in a 357 Mag and the Largo cartridges are hard to find and the old stuff is corrosive.

Jerry
Most .38 Supers will chamber the 9x23 Winchester as well. The 9x23 is equal to the .357 SIG (124/125gr @ 1450 fps).
http://www.burnscustom.com/showarticle.php3?article=9x23/9x23WhereAreWe.php3

·
Banned
20 Posts
Most .38 Supers will chamber the 9x23 Winchester as well. The 9x23 is equal to the .357 SIG (124/125gr @ 1450 fps).
Be sure before you use 9X23 ammo, it runs at 55,000 psi compared to .38 Super at 36,500 psi.
Also the 9X23 is a tapered round, the Super is straight. The chambers are not identical. Never use an unramped .38 Super to fire 9X23.
38 Super.net

·
Banned
674 Posts
You can but you shouldn't. That is right there on top of the shooters lists of dumb ideas. The only thing that goes in a 38 super is a 38 super.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.