Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on loading a 380 with hornady 125gr XTP? I seated an empty win case last night, due to the taper in the case there was a small bulge at the bullet base. Running the case through a Lee bulge die removes any perceptable bulge. Winchester cases must have less of a taper, as attempting to seat the 125gr in other brands resulted in a larger bulge. I was thinking of trying this with a starting load of 2gr of 231. ???

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
You've found the main problem. The bullets are so long they don't leave much powder space under them, tending to cause high pressure because of the tightly confined space. So the load has to be very small. Safely getting the bullet above 750 fps (4" barrel) may be problematic. Squeezing the bullet narrower at its bottom edge is also problematic because the squeeze is only as uniform around the center of the bullet mass as the brass squeezing against it is. Imperfection in the bullet base leads to inaccuracy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In my opinion it's unlikely to be a useful load. There used to be some 115 gr loads but Speer discontinued listing them in the 13th edition citing problems with excessive o/a length.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts