Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant seem to find data for a 125gr. lead load for a .38special.  I planned on using load data from a .38 super, but i dont know if that would be a good idea.  The powders that i have on hand are W231 and AA#5.  
 Eventually, i'm looking to standardize to two powders for magnum and light loads.  Right now i'm going thru some powders to see what i like.  2400 is going to be my magnum choice, but i dont know about for the lighter loads. I might choose Bullseye or Unique, but i dont know.
 Anyway, i would like some load data for these two powders and 125gr lead bullets.  I want light loads because i'm introducing my fiance to shooting with them and she has tender hands.  Thanks alot.

cyberhick

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Cyberhick,

For your lead 125g loads in the .38 Special, the AA#5 you have on hand is an excellent choice.  Load with 6.5g for a velocity of around 865 fps, with a top load being 6.9g for standard pressure loads.

Too, when looking at standardizing on powders, the AA #5 is an excellent choice for one of those two handgun propellents.  It's very flexible, clean burning and delivers superb ballistic uniformity throughout the realm of pressures encountered with handgun applications.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you load way down with #5?  I know that with Unique, Bullseye, and 2400 you can go as low as you wish until the bullet wont leave the barrel.  I wish to do silent loads with heavy bullets, and i know that its safe and easy to do with Unique and Bullseye.  Is it safe to do with #5 and/or W231?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts