Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin Model Original Golden 39M which I bought in 1976. I don't hear much about that model, but I understand it differs from the 39A by having a straight stock and a 20" barrel instead of 24". Anyone familiar with this one? I've shot it hardly at all, but it is a very pleasant gun to handle and shoots very well.

Spence

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have one I think mine is from 1978 but would have to check the serial # to be sure. They are very fine shooters. Enjoy it it will get lonesome in the safe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the rifle at all, but here is what I found written. They were made from 1954 to 1963. They have a Gold trigger. They have serial numbers prefixed with L thru W.
Probably a different gun, because I bought mine new in 1976 and it has a serial number without any letters, all numerals. It does have the gold trigger.

Horseman 1 said: "Enjoy it it will get lonesome in the safe." I've been strictly a black powder, muzzleloading shooter for many years, but that little gun was so pretty I couldn't resist it, even though I knew I wouldn't be shooting it. Now I'm gearing up with a Marlin 336C, so I've broken the 39M out, plan on shooting it some. Impressive quality compared to many .22 caliber guns on the market today, it seems. And, it's a levergun, what's not to like? :p

Spence

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bet you're right about me being wrong Spence. I checked different sources and found that Marlin really confused the issue with different Goldens, 39A's, and 39M's. I still bet The Marlin gurus know the whole, and correct story.
Marlin confuses the issue with the Golden bit. You'd think they could make each model designation unique.

Spence

·
Banned
442 Posts
You have a variation of the longest running production gun in the US. The parent of this gun was first produced in 1892. The mountie version is simply the same action as the 39A with just differnt barrel and stock. Let me tell you up front that I study gun design and manufacture, and am not a great Marlin fan but concerning the model 39 I have to admit it is one great, high quality, superbly built piece of American gun history. I thought enough of this model I bought each one of my kids one on the day they were born. You have a true CLASSIC. Truly built to last multiple lifetimes.

·
Banned
421 Posts
What you have is known as a Mountie, the most desirable of all versions of the Marlin 39A. I have several 39A's, including a mountie from 1955, the second year they were made, and still just called a 39A. It has a 20" barrel, and a straight stock. If yours is in like new condition it would be worth $600 - $700 on GunBroker. It is definitely an heirloom quality gun, so enjoy it and treat it well!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Looks like you got it figured out. Definitely a valuable forum member with taste in guns like that!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kentucky has a short spring squirrel season which just opened, and I decided a mess of squirrel and dumplings would taste good. Took my 39M out looking for a squirrel, found one. What a sweet gun.

Spence

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice Spence, Took me back to a spring morning in '93 on a bench above Lake Cumberland off Slate Branch road.. 2 squirrels that morning with my '59 39A with a k2.5. These Little Rifles will make generations of memories...

·
Registered
2 Posts
This 1957, 39A followed me home today from a gun show. The guy said it was his old neighbors gun and he was the original owner. No paper work and no taxes, you gotta love it.

Can't wait to shoot.....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Marlin 39

I have the 39A, with pistol grip and 24" barrel. They are great shooting little rifles! Mine likes W-W Super X and Eley 10X ammo. Great squirrel rifle as you've already discovered. Probably the best rifle to shoot if you're looking for that "old west" feel. As the man said, keep it out & enjoy it. It's very well made.:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great squirrel rifle as you've already discovered. Probably the best rifle to shoot if you're looking for that "old west" feel. As the man said, keep it out & enjoy it. It's very well made.:)
Yes, a real treat to hunt with. I am much impressed with the ease of handling, the nice weight, the balance and the obvious quality of the 39M. I'm a black powder shooter, haven't hunted with smokeless for 35+ years. Few things can equal taking a few squirrels with a small-caliber flintlock rifle, and I won't be giving that up. This little gun is so sweet, though, and the whole bit of hunting with modern rifles is so simple, clean and easy that I have the feeling this little gun is going to see some action this fall.

Spence

·
Registered
150 Posts
Excellent job, Spence....with rifle AND camera! The bagged squirrel + rifle photo you should have framed....with the caption "THIS is what it's all about'. The very essence of hunting, and especially 'leverguns'. Great photo! Lee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts