Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a modern day 3x9 getting beat up by a 375 h&h? I just mounted my 5 yr old vx-1 on one, so just kinda wondering.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Kind of a broad question, to answer it though, If your using a cheap redfield or blazer scope (pick whatever cheapo scope you want) then yes, a heavy recoiling rifle will destroy these optics no matter the magnification. Your leupold will be fine i would imagine, if not then leupold will replace it for you with one that will handle it.

·
Banned
605 Posts
An Uncle had a Win 70 in .375 H&H. He had a Redfield 3-9 on it and loved it. Held up very well. I hunted with it and played with it on the range. No problems at all. But this was back in the 70's. Might make a difference.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I agree with those above, your Leupold should hold up just fine. I'd be very surprised if you ever experienced any problems on that rifle with it. They are as tough as it gets in a scope, IMHO.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
An Uncle had a Win 70 in .375 H&H. He had a Redfield 3-9 on it and loved it. Held up very well. I hunted with it and played with it on the range. No problems at all. But this was back in the 70's. Might make a difference.
I was referring to the new 190$ redfields, theyre total crap.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a $150 Weaver V10 2-10x38 on an 8 1/2 lb. (scoped and loaded) .375 Weatherby. No issues whatsoever.

The actually chose the Weaver over several "better" scopes. Reason being, the Weaver is extremely lightweight. The biggest enemy of scopes on heavy-hitters is inertia. The heavier the optic, the harder ride it gets and the harder the stop at the end is.

I have heard tale (more than one) of the higher end Leupy's not doing as well on big kickers as the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a $150 Weaver V10 2-10x38 on an 8 1/2 lb. (scoped and loaded) .375 Weatherby. No issues whatsoever.

The actually chose the Weaver over several "better" scopes. Reason being, the Weaver is extremely lightweight. The biggest enemy of scopes on heavy-hitters is inertia. The heavier the optic, the harder ride it gets and the harder the stop at the end is.

I have heard tale (more than one) of the higher end Leupy's not doing as well on big kickers as the cheaper ones.
Interesting. I dont shoot full loads anyways, so im not worried, just curious what others had to say.

·
Registered
692 Posts

I have two VXIII 6.5-20x scopes, one on a 300 Ultra Mag, the other on a 338 Ultra mag. I have never had any issues with either one.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have two VXIII 6.5-20x scopes, one on a 300 Ultra Mag, the other on a 338 Ultra mag. I have never had any issues with either one.
I hope you never do.

The .338 RUM is very similar in recoil energy and profile to my .375 Weatherby in a similar weight rifle. The .300 RUM is a tad gentler.

Like I said...... "I have heard tale". I do not know of firsthand failures. And not all VX-III's are destined to fail. But I've heard enough anecdotal incidences to believe that there may be less durability in the better Leupy's.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I hope you never do.

The .338 RUM is very similar in recoil energy and profile to my .375 Weatherby in a similar weight rifle. The .300 RUM is a tad gentler.

Like I said...... "I have heard tale". I do not know of firsthand failures. And not all VX-III's are destined to fail. But I've heard enough anecdotal incidences to believe that there may be less durability in the better Leupy's.
I hope that doesnt happen, just got the 338 RUM about a month ago, so far so good. I have had the 300 RUM for almost two years.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts

I would consider it just as you have put it, a tale. If a high end leupold doesnt handle recoil from any rifle fired from the shoulder, it is due to a defect and leupold will replace it free of charge.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would consider it just as you have put it, a tale. If a high end leupold doesnt handle recoil from any rifle fired from the shoulder, it is due to a defect and leupold will replace it free of charge.
Thats what I was thinking, I have been using Leupolds for years and have never had any issues, regaurdless of caliber.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, I have been using Leupolds for years and have never had any issues, regaurdless of caliber.
I have been using leupolds since i was 13, and a lot of my family members have been using them a lot longer, never heard a bad word bout leupold. Every problem my family has ever had, leupold fixed the problem very quickly.

One time my uncle bought a rifle at a pawn shop which had an older leupold (cant remember what exactly it was) and for some reason it wouldnt hold zero. He sent the scope in, and they repaired it, then called him and asked if it would be okay if they just sent him the newer model scope which replaced the older one. Of course he accepted there offer, and leupolds reasoning was, they didnt want one of there scopes out in circulation with a discolored finish on it (apperently the scopes finish was a little tarnished).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Considering the source of the tales, I would tend to still believe there have been some failures. "Some". Percentage-wise, I am sure it is small. And you are right...........Leupold stands behind their product well. I never was inferring that one should worry to put a VX-3 on top. I was just sayin'........... ;)

FWIW............. I had a failure of a Weaver on my .375 that was not recoil-related. They replaced it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I was referring to the new 190$ redfields, theyre total crap.
Have you had a bad personal experience with the newer Redfield scopes? I understand they are part of the Leupold line, now and was expecting the quality and service to be improved. There was a time when Redfield was a very respected name in rifle scopes, although that was many years ago.

What happened with the new Redfield scope you bought that makes you think they're total crap?

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Have you had a bad personal experience with the newer Redfield scopes? I understand they are part of the Leupold line, now and was expecting the quality and service to be improved. There was a time when Redfield was a very respected name in rifle scopes, although that was many years ago.

What happened with the new Redfield scope you bought that makes you think they're total crap?
I know better to buy a new redfield, so no i have not personally bought one. I do however have a bad experience with one of these new redfields. My cousin bought a new vangaurd in '06, and decided to cheap out on the scope, and bought the 190$ redfield, and i had the pleasure of helping him sight the gun in.

It will not adjust left or right untill you move the vertical dial, and vice versa. also it is no where close to 1/4 MOA adjustments. horrible scope, does have a decent picture through it, but so does my 30$ blazer scope on my .22 lr

I wouldnt buy a anything less than a vxI leupold scope, unless it has the golden ring i wont touch it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just between you me and the neighbors dog when it comes to big guns with lots of bark a light single power scope wins hands down. 2.5X will handle most chores, I wouldn't really want to go over 4X. Less to go wrong and less extra weight to lug around but enough to put you square on any target you are likely to be shooting at with that gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts