Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I know where I can git a mod. 71. I want to build another big cal. lever gun. I was looking at P.O. Ackley's book and think I want a .40-.348 A.I. I already shoot a .405 Win. and that would keep my bullet needs to one dia. So has anyone had any experience with this caliber? Will cast bullets work in this caliber and combination? This will push a 300gr. bullet at just under 2500 fps. Does anyone have load info. for the .40-.348? The Ackley data lists only a 300 gr. bullet and is very limited. I was thinking of something with a 22 inch octagon barrel with a full length magizine tube. That should make a fairly fast handling rifle with pretty good power for anything on the continent. I guess I am a 40 caliber man at heart. Jack K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jack K, I like those 40 cal's myself as I built my own wildcat based on the 450 Marlin necked down to 40 and just bought another  Marlin in 450 to do the same with it! I think Tim Sundles over at Buffalo Bore Ammo had a 416- 348 years ago, so you might try contacting him and see what he thought of that combination! Take Care.

·
Banned
556 Posts
I'm curious.  Wouldn't the 40-348 case be close to a 40-65?

Charlie

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Charlie, the .40-65 shares the same case head dimension as the .45-70 (more or less - see article in current Handloader magazine for additional information).  This is a little smaller than the .348 case, which is also the same as a .50-110.

Similar in concept, yes, but more case capacity for the .348 and it's kin.  Plus the M71 bolt is already cut for the .348 rim diameter, and I'm sure the magazine/etc. has dimensions that will work better with the fatter case.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hay! Thanks John. I have delt with Tim at Buffalo Bore about my .475 Linebaugh. I didn't know he was into a .416-.348. That should be very close to the .40-.348 A.I. in loads. It seemed that Tim is working on the 50 AK. I like that caliber. But I would like to stay at .40 caliber to not get so many bullets. I have been thinking of building a .500 Linebaugh but I need to find a nother RRH to build it on. Then a .50 AK mite be neet. Hunt with .50 caliber pistol and rifle. Thanks again! Jack K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jack K,
Sounds like you're in for some interesting fun!  I don't know if you've seen the article by John Kronfeld in 'Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges' by Wolfe Publishing but there's a great article on the '.416 Alaskan/.416-348 Improved'.  There's some great cartridge comparisons/ how to do and where to go/ etc. you might find helpful if you haven't already seen it.  The article mentions bullets from 360/420gr. LBT to 400gr Trophy Bonded/A-Square/Barnes & 410 Hoch.  I too found a never-been-fired Browning 71 High Grade and shipped it off to Harry McGowen in Oct. to have it modified to the 50 AK.  Have fun with your project and best wishes!
H&H  

1 - 6 of 6 Posts