Shooters Forum banner

40 cal. bullet weight

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  B52wings 
#1 ·
What does everyone use reloading 40. I started out with 180gr but now use 155xtp that's all that was left!.

#2 ·
Since first reloading the 40 in 1998 I've used 135, 155, 165, 180 and 200. My rounds have been used for IPSC/USPSA matches along with steel plate and general plinking. Never really saw much of a difference between the lot. I do have a Springfield XD that is much more snappy shooting with 155gr and up bullets so I try to only use the 135s.
I've shoot cast, jacketed and coated bullets with no difference in performance.

#10 ·
Don't tell any of my Glock's they "can't", might make them think of going on strike. 😉😆😆😆

The warning against lead bullets, is a general caution for those who don't pay attention. It isn't a "if you shoot even one, the world will end". Glock's poly rifling can grab more fouling than standard squared rifling.
Both of my Glock pistols are perfectly happy shooting lots of lead. Just clean, inspect frequently, and don't pretend they are capable of jacketed velocity.

Or, if one can't be bothered to pay attention to their pistol barrels; there are tons of drop-in barrels available.

Cheers

#5 ·
The bullet weight I choose and the reasons behind it is a complicated process.
Accuracy comes first! then it depends on the primary use. For paper any bullet will punch a hole just fine but if it is for steel it needs more mass and a tip that extends dwell time on target. Hollow points help in this but the bullet has to be malleable enough that it doesn't just turn to dust on impact. For game you need to extend your range (I do) and that calls for more velocity and a bullet made for hunting. For a carry arm you want a bullet that is going to penetrate and expand properly to stop the attacker. The distances are not far enough to require high velocity but the bullet has to be driven at a velocity at which it performs.
I use 165 grain bullets in my 40 at about 1060 fps. It's not a hot load but it is accurate even out to 50 yards, which is farther than is normally needed for self defense. I don't carry it for that purpose yet because I am not familiar enough with the gun and load. I am training with that in mind so until I am comfortable with the 40 I continue to carry my 357.

#6 ·
@shooterPaul

Just out of curiosity, how much do your steel "targets" weigh, diameter, thickness etc?

RJ

#8 ·
If all you want it to do is go 'bang' then it doesn't matter.

The only handloads I ever did for the .40 were 200gr. hard cast. Even at modest velocities, they will punch through a fair amount of pig. ;)

#11 ·
Just think 180gr. became kind of standard because the early wildcat .40 G&A used the only jacketed bullet in production of then right diameter...the 38/40 180gr.

No reason not to use the wide variety of weights we have now that the round is actually popular….and in today’s shortages, I’d not turn my nose up at any component that can be useful.

Glock has a thing against lead bullets…the reasons seem suspect. I’ve used lead in Glocks, usually going for heavier bullets driven slower, which might have decreased any leading issue.

Brother still has and shoots an HK P9s (.45). Evidently, back when those were new, some genius decided to try some old KTW ammo in on. Resented trying to be squished into a polygonal shape...resulting it several firm warnings about what was safe to shoot.

-------
Same idea, just .1" bigger....found two boxes of .41AE 170gr. FMJ bullets. Still load/shoot .41 mag....considering the component situation, wasn't going to leave them un-bought.

#16 ·
Mine are all 9"X3/4" AR500 or T1 plus some 4"X3/8" A36 for 22's. 357's loaded with 358429's (170 grain) at 1100 fps don't have any trouble knocking the 9" targets over even at 100 yards provided I can hit them. Used to be easy but old eyes . . . . .

RJ

#17 ·
I've shot 180, 165, 155 through a G23 G2 for the last 20+ years with an OEM barrel. Lots of lead bullets without issue, but I clean the pistol after every range trip.

I bought pull downs as cheap as lead, so I ended up switching to those. I'm lucky and stacked deep before the craziness set in.

Check out https://americanreloading.com/en/74-40-caliber-10mm-400-401 they have some 40 in stock and not too crazy in price. Its where I've bought mine.

#19 ·
I got a closeout deal on some 155 SWC, but have also used 180 RNFP. Since I shoot paper targets, I prefer the SWC's since they punch so much cleaner holes. Seem more accurate and feed better too in my 1911. Yes, a .40 S&W 1911.

Reactions: sparkyv
#20 ·
As most of the replies indicate, accuracy and what the bullet does on impact is the goal. What is unique is how each pistol handles identical loads. S&W has tweaked the barrels on the M&P 2.0 and 165 gr. bullets with a mid range velocity around 1K fps seem to be most accurate for me. Barrel twist even on short ones can make all the difference. My Beretta 96FS performs slightly different with the same load. Go to the firearm/pistol manufacturer and ask about the twist. As time goes on, the same model may get a twist tweak. You gotta ask. As for supply, extreme bullets has been able to ship in various weights. I have a finicky habit about weighing 20 out of 500 just to see how consistent the product is. Not an AD for them, just stating my personal experience. My carry ammo I make usually has Speer bullets. both .40 & 9MM. Some people swear by Hornady. Just have to do your own penetration tests to see what YOU feel is best and hope you never have to use it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.