Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a brand new taurus 24/7 g2 compact in .40 s&w and obviously the .40 is one of the more expencive handgun rounds to shoot. where i am at it runs about 50$ for 100 rounds for winchester white box fmj. i am interested in reloading the .40 but i have heard its a dangerous round to reload is this true? what is the cheepest you guys have been able to reload this round? i have experience with reloading 12 gauge and 30.06 but not handgun rounds.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think the round is any more dangerous in itself to reload than any other round. It's important to get a good crimp on the cases. Top loads approach 35K of pressure, and too loose of a crimp will sometimes allow bullets to be pushed back inside the cases, during feeding, raising pressure to dangerous levels. This issue goes for the 9MM also. Sometimes brass that was previously fired in a Glock has a case bulge in it, that must be removed to chamber properly. Lee and Redding make dies to do this. If you stick with brass that was only fired in your gun, you can eliminate this issue. Use good brass, with a good crimp, and sane loading data from a respected manual, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! how much would i save in the long run to reload this round??

·
Registered
673 Posts
If I get 5-8 reloads from the brass it runs about ~$15 per 100 rounds.

Before the crazy prices on jacketed bullets recently it was ~$20 per 100.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
thanks! how much would i save in the long run to reload this round??
A lot. I bought a Lee Pro1000 progressive set up for 40 S&W for $150, 500 rounds of Starline brass and 500 Ranier Ballistics 180 grain HP's another $120. Primers and powder I already had. So now (1500 rounds later) the brass is essentially free, I can reload 50 for about . . . . . (sums ain't my strong suite :eek:) . . . .. .$11

But with all the idjit lemmings hoarding everything and the price gouging of whats left, good luck trying to find anything to make reloads with right now.

Heck you can't even find a reloading press.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,921 Posts
It's pretty straightforward to reload, as far as reloading any handgun round goes, and you don't have to run at full pressures. Just fast enough to cycle reliably.

However..... you may find it difficult to get equipment and components in the current political climate. I'd suggest saving your brass for a bit. Looks like RJ and I were typing at the same time....

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,469 Posts
Only I was faster :D

RJ

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
I've been doing reloading on the .40 for years and haven't had any issues in my Glock M23. I don't go full house on the plinking rounds and am pretty selective on the used brass.

You can save a bunch if reloading cast bullets and you already have the lead and some brass. Figure then the pills are free (not counting electricty and labor) and you'll spend about 5 cents a round in primers and powder. That's pre Obama prices.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When reloading for the 40 keep in mind there are loads that were developed in 1911 type guns that have ramped barrels. Stay with info from reloading manuals and not what your buddy reloads and be sure info is not listed for a ramped barrel. It will state in manuals or from powder companies whether it is for ramped barrels or not along with cautions. Otherwise straightforward and a savings no worse than 9mm or 45acp

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The one thing I learned from reloading the 40 S&W is to seat and crimp in separate operations!, I've got a whole box full of rounds that won't chamber because of the bur in front of the case mouth!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Ditto what Monty said about the cost. I use cast bullets exclusively for all my range work and have found that 4.0 grains of WST behind a 180 grain cast bullet shoots great, puts all my ejected brass in a neat pile, and runs about a nickel a shot for the powder and primer. I was lucky the other day at the Bass Pro Shop in Shreveport. They had 2 pounds of WST and hardly anything else. And the limit per customer was 2 pounds. Walk-out price was under $60. That's the only powder I have found in a store that I could use in the past several months.

And I shoot 3 different .40 Glocks. With replacement Lone Wolf cut rifling barrels though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts