Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have also been interested in the 10.6x51 in the new Marlin 1895M but decided to design my wildcat around a .408 dia bullet. My reason for this was that I shoot a 40-65 now that uses this dia bullet and I have become fond of it! I use Hawk bullets that work great on big game and for cheap plinking I swage 41 cal jacketed pistol bullets down. Now I'd like to try Marshalls heavy cast 41 mag bullets, I'm sure they will work great! Back to the cartridge, it is pretty much the same as the10.6x51, just a different bore size, and the case has minumum taper. Im sure if it had a longer neck like MR Gates 416 Bear Tooth it would handle cast bullets better but jacketed bullet use was the original intent. The reamer came from JGS in Oregon and the project is at the gunsmith right now. I'd like to thank both Marshall and James for answering my email and showing interest in my project. Before I forget two rifles are gonna be built, one a Marlin 1895 the other a Browning A Bolt.  John Anderson

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
John....Thank you for your kind words. I like the name! If possible publish the spec drawings for us to see. Keep in touch and let us follow your progress. Like you, I prefer JCS for reamers. I am well aware of the work involved to put one of these together!
Best Regards from Old Town Hammock......James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr Gates, I don't own a scanner, but will take a copy of print to a freind that does and see if he can scan it for me then I will try to get it on this board! Sorry but when it comes to computers I'm pretty ignorant. I mostly use it to keep up on all the shooting boards!  So like I said I will try to get it on this board, but if I have trouble I will email the print to you! Thanks, John Anderson

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
John....If you run into trouble. mail me a copy of your spes drawing. I'll scan it and get it to Marshall...Like I said before..You need to go public with your spec drawing!
Best Regards from The Hammock....James

James C. Gates
HC2  Box 2680
Old Town, Florida 32680

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James, Im doing everything I can to get you the print, but here is another question for you and Marshall! What thoughts do you guys have on magazine detonation when using hard cast bullets in the Marlin 1895! There was a bit of discussion about it on the old Marlin board last year and just wondered what your veiws were. Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
John...I'm going to pass that one about mag detonation to Marshall, as he has much more knowledge of the Marlin than I do!
As for the prints of your cartridge...mail what you have to me at:
James C. Gates
HC2 Box 2680
Old Town, Florida 32680
I will get it prep for you....Best Regards...James

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
John,

Yes, over on the Marlin forum the subject of magazine detonation was a really hot topic for a while.  I have looked into the subject to some depth, talked with Marlin about the issue and interestingly enough, the only incidents of this phenomenon to their knowledge was with the Buffalo Bore ammo!

Unfortunately there are lots of variables that enter into the question to know just what happened there, and it's easy to get into a finger pointing mode and not really have any hard fast answers.  

You know, that one incident happened while the shooter was out in the pucker-brush, and I've had this nagging question in my mind about what precipitated that detonation, and no one to my knowledge has addressed it.   Was it possible that some fine gravel, or grit either got into the loading gate, or was on either the base of nose of a bullet when it was loaded?  Imagine a small piece of very hard round river gravel about the size of a straight pin head, sitting between the flat face of a WFN style bullet and the primer of the cartridge ahead of it!  We have a perfect recipe for an improvised firing pin!  I'm not saying that this is what happened.... I'm just pointing out that there are lots of variables that get injected into an equation once in the field that really put the speculation of possibilities into astronomical numbers.

I find it comforting that the only instances of magazine detonation recorded are the ones we've already heard so much about.   I've never experienced anything like it, nor have had any reports of such occurences with the LBT design bullets of LFN and WFN, WLN profiles.

If you think about this just for a little bit, having a nose meplat larger than the primer itself, and that meplat being a relatively flat surface, I really think the possibilities of magazine detonation are slim and none, unless another outside influence is entered into the picture like I outlined above.   If it is just the flat nosed bullet against the base of the cartridge ahead of it, so long as the meplat is larger in diameter than the primer itesef, there is no logical reason that any hazard is present.

I hope that my rambling here sets your mind to rest about magazine detonation.   Really, it is the furthest thing from my mind when using these flat meplat bullets, in any of the leverguns!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Thanks to Mr. James Gates, we have a great drawing of Mr. Anderson's .400 Yukon.

Looks like a very interesting, and efficient lever-gun round!

Thanks to both of you gentlemen!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been interested in the 400 yukon project for some months now, after John mentioned it. I'd like to see it adopted by a firearms maker, because I think its the best cartridge for large Alaskan bears and moose, especially thin the thickets. I'd buy one, if it were in a stainless Marlin levergun. ~~~Suluuq

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Sorry, Forum, in my old age I left out the distance from the base of the shell to the front of the rim! It's 0.2500"
Sorry about that! Regards,James

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I've finally started developing loads for the 400 Yukon as the rifles were finally completed about two weeks ago! Will keep everyone posted as too how things go. I would like to thank MR Gates for his time and patience and putting up with me asking so many questions on the phone, as without his help this project would never have gone this smooth, thank's James!!   John Anderson

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any further info about this wildcat? I've been gone for about five-six years or more.
~~~Suluuq (I even forgot I sign with my Eskimo name)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts