Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay! I've finally received a supply of Beartooth 405 gr. gaschecked bullets sized to .460. These are beautiful bullets!
Almost a shame to shoot them! I have browsed the LoadSwap and didn't really find what I am looking for.I have a Marlin 1895ss. in Miro-groove to reload for.
I plan on loading these bullets using W/W brass, Federal 210 primers and H-4198 powder. Is this powder a good choice for this bullet? I have other powders available: IMR 3031, IMR 4895, IMR 4064 and Rx 7.. Will the .460 diameter materially affect pressures?
As a starting load I am looking at 46 gr. of H-4198. My goal is to get in the neighborhood of 1750 to 1800 fps. This will be used primarily for elk hunting.

Does anyone have any experience with this diameter bullet in the Marlin? Or suggestions on a diiferent set of components. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Other than those that begin with jump, fly, or kiss.

· Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great information! I have heard that H-322 is the best all around powder for the 45/70. Both H-322 and H-335 shoot great in my .222 Remington, so I'll have dual useage there.

Again, thanks for the information. An order will likely follow in the near future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.