Shooters Forum banner

.405 shooting report

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  FA18CUB 
#1 ·
I was able to squeze in a few rounds at the range yesterday with my Win. 1895 .405. I had a 1" Decellerator put on it and the Ashley Ghost ring sights. It weighs 8 lbs 3 oz with no ammo. Well I put 12 rounds through it. Even at 8lbs and with a 1" pad it still kicks plenty hard! I only shot off hand. I didn't use my chrono. I was shooting the Hornady factory load. The target was set at 25 yards just to see were it was hitting. Looks like it is on in elevation and a couple inches left. It will definatley require some extra padding for the real sight in sessions on the bench. I am very pleased with it. It is actually almost the exact same length and weight as my Win. M-70 .30-06 Fthrwt. I shot the .30-06 after the .405 and it was much easier on the shoulder! Anyone else got theirs shooting yet?

#2 ·
Good show, CUB. I'm still waiting for mine to come in. Zeg said toward the end of this month. I've been able to scrounge a few more boxes of X's and a box of Swift's. Looks like I should probably just go with the Hawk line.

Are you going to chase any bears this spring with the 405?

#4 ·
Hey congratulations!!! Is this your first? Do you know if it will be a boy or girl? Probably a flyer and shooter, regardless.

Looks like the Forest Service is going to close the little gravel pit I've been shooting at. Can't blame them, people have turned into a junkyard. I hauled 5 pickup loads of appliances out of there last year and into the Anchorage landfill. It is still a mess. You don't deserve what you have if you can't take care of it, I guess. Looks like I'll be shooting down at Rabbit Creek while developing loads for the 411. Do you make it down there often?

#6 ·
405Win

i've got some shooting in this year.But did all the leg work on the 405Win last year.I have a Winchester M1895 with 28in barrel and side mount and 2x7x Leupold.I handload and have been using Woodleigh Weldcore 300grSp and Safari Arms 300gr SP.I use 58.5grs of IMR 3031 for 2450fps-3997fpe and 1" groups at 100yds and just over an 1" at 150yds.Barnes is supposed to coming out with some heavier bulets that crimp in the right area to clear in Win M1895 action.

#7 ·
That is good news. Sounds like you have a real winner there, Enforcer. Unfortunately, we've had windchills down to 50 below zero the last couple of days and the wind is really screaming. No load work till it warms up a tad and the wind settles.

Let us know when you hear more about the Barnes bullets. Looks like Hawk has bullets from 300 all the way to 400 grains. Might just have to check the heavies out from them.

#8 ·
Congratulations on the new child! They are a real joy. May I ask a dumb question? While it would look like *$^%&, what about a muzzle break on the 1895. I shoot big bore Marlins (45-70, 444, 450)and they have considerable recoil, but I'm sure much less than a 405. I have one on a Browning BLR in 7mm Mag and it turned it into a pussycat. Have you considered that option?

THANKS!

#9 ·
Muzzle brake

Lindsey Mathiso said:
Congratulations on the new child! They are a real joy. May I ask a dumb question? While it would look like *$^%&, what about a muzzle break on the 1895. I shoot big bore Marlins (45-70, 444, 450)and they have considerable recoil, but I'm sure much less than a 405. I have one on a Browning BLR in 7mm Mag and it turned it into a pussycat. Have you considered that option?

THANKS!
i have thought of it.i have a Savage M99A in 358win with a 22in barrel(before the brake).I added a recoil pad and a muzzle brake to it.I was using it as a test gun for my many hot loads for the 358win.and recoil was getting to me after many shots of:

200gr Hornady Interlock SP 2700fps-3236fpe
225gr Speer Grand Slam 2550fps-3248fpe
250gr Barnes XFB 2425fps-3255fpe
300gr Barnes 2250fps-3250fpe

If you want i can send you a picture of it.it doesn't look that bad.Enforcer

#10 ·
If it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd like to see it. My 444 is ported so I couldn't do it on that. But with "hot" loads in the 47-70 and 450 guide guns the recoil is significant. As I am not getting any younger, and it is not as much fun to pick up my teeth from the ground as it used to be! :D

THANKS !!!!

#11 ·
Private Message

Lindsey Mathiso said:
If it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd like to see it. My 444 is ported so I couldn't do it on that. But with "hot" loads in the 47-70 and 450 guide guns the recoil is significant. As I am not getting any younger, and it is not as much fun to pick up my teeth from the ground as it used to be! :D

THANKS !!!!
Post e-mail on private message board and I'll send you pictures.I don't know how to post pictures on this site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.