Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've been reading the article in the "Rifleman" about Teddy Roosevelt and the .405 Winchester......his Medicine Rifle for lions.   He was shooting a .411-.412"  300 grain bullet at 2000 - 2300 fps for 2900-3300 ft-lbs.   You know that sounds almost exactly like the .416 Beartooth, and you don't need a M95 Win rifle to shoot it!!!!   Now, we need some .416 solids with a flat point large enough to prevent chain fires in the magazine and we can take our Marlins into elephant country armed just like Teddy!!  Now which one of my Marlins do I convert.......or should I scoot down to the next gunshow and pick up a used one for a refit??  Decisions, decisions.....  :)

Lobo in NM

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
I read in the latest American Hunter that Hornady will be producing .405 Winchester ammo!  .405 fans everywhere will be glad to see that, I'm sure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just wish they'd make the 1895 in 405 Win a regularly cataloged item so we could all buy one, instead of trying to maintain some collector's status.  This is fortunate for Marlin because they'll sell even more 444s and 45/70s to us regular folk.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A little history on the 1895. Basicly a trashy action very prone to breakage. That's why "Teddy R." took two of them to Africa. That's also part of the reason it never survived to this day. Czar Nicholas thought so much of them he purchased a lot of M1895 Muskets as a Russian battle rifle in 7.62x54R. He didn't survive long either. More Win 1895's were chambered in the 7.62 Russian and exported then were sold in the US in all other chamberings combined. I wonder why? I guess if a person just has to have one that's a good enough reason to hang one on the wall. Modern metallurgy is not the be all for this gun. They are still a delicate creation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts