Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm hoping to find some load data for the 405gr bullet. I'm hoping to use it with my Super Blackhawk.

I've read some threads where people were talking about doing load development, but never saw anything more than that.

Thanks!!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,224 Posts
Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt or 44 Mag? Cast or jacketed?

RJ

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
405gr 45lc won't be for a Super Blackhawk as anything over 300gr would be a special order and I havn't heard of a 405gr 44Mag round. Must be a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger, most likely the 480 Ruger.
Is it that and Cast or Jacket? For those types of handgun bullets north of 250gr Cast 45lc I always suggest a slow pistol powder like H110 or Lil'Gun.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
405gr 45lc won't be for a Super Blackhawk and I havn't heard of a 405gr 44Mag round. Must be a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger.

go to beartooth bullets, click on the 44 cal(bottom left) and they have a 405 gr wln in 44.

they also have one in 45 cal

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
go to beartooth bullets, click on the 44 cal(bottom left) and they have a 405 gr wln in 44.

I stand corrected and thanks for the information. One in 44 and one in 45LC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
405gr 45lc won't be for a Super Blackhawk as anything over 300gr would be a special order and I havn't heard of a 405gr 44Mag round. Must be a 454 Casull or a 480 Ruger, most likely the 480 Ruger.
Is it that and Cast or Jacket? For those types of handgun bullets north of 250gr Cast 45lc I always suggest a slow pistol powder like H110 or Lil'Gun.
Yes, it's for my .44 mag Super Blackhawk. I'll be using 296, which I think is the same as H110.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Don't forget,... you can cast your own, at any weight that blows your skirt up.:)

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
How does such a long bullet seat deep enough to chamber but not swell the bottom of the case and reduce powder capacity to 38 spec levels?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cylinders on Ruger revolvers such as the Redhawk, SRH, and SBH tend to be longer than other brands. Also, this particular bullet has two crimp rings which allows you to seat it a good bit longer than the SAAMI max.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
That begs the question I can't answer-- how much longer is a SBH cylinder than a BH? I have Blackhawk .44 but not a super to measure.
I shoot 265s in my .41 Mag BH and they're crowding it. I'd think a 400+. 429 would need a .357 Max frame like used in the 475 and 500 Linebaugh guns to maintain powder capacity. And since powder capacity determines velocity capability it seems a step in the wrong direction, performance wise.

Pictured is the 357 Super Cooper done as a practical joke on Jeff Cooper.

Attachments

Reactions: baddad457

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
Redhawk cylinder 1.750," Blackhawk 1.700." No idea on the Super Redhawk. Super Blackhawk same as other full-sized Blackhawks.

Kind of on your own for load data for 400+ grain bullets in the .44 mag. It's out there, but don't think any of the major powder/ammo/bullet companies pressure test it. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cylinder length on my SBH is 1.700".

I put together a dummy cartridge, and 1.760" is the max OAL for the cylinder, crimped into the lower crimp groove.

I also cut down a case to where the base of the bullet should be based upon the OAL, and it held 16.2gr of 296.
IMG_20210106_142734408.jpg
IMG_20210106_142734408.jpg

·
11,224 Posts
Super Blackhawk is shorter than the Redhawk, I'd suspect the same as the Blackhawk but I can check when I get home. Super RH is the same as the RH.

RJ

·
11,224 Posts
Gary, that's about what a 429421 looks like I'm my SBH Hunter seating it at the crimp groove without shortening brass.

What grain bullet are you using in your picture?

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,751 Posts
Best give yourself a good 0.050" clearance from the end of the bullet to the front of the cylinder. That much mass in a bullet has 'bullet jump' written all over it.

Been there, done that. Would start my load testing with TWO rounds in the cylinder (put empties in the other chambers so the loading gate doesn't jump the spring. Fire first round, inspect the second to make sure it didn't jump the crimp, at least not more than a few thou.

Second cylinder, load three rounds, fire two, inspect..... etc.

So I wouldn't load more than 1.710" or so in a Blackhawk, maybe another .050" in a Redhawk.

·
11,224 Posts
Gotcha, can you post a picture please?

RJ

·
11,224 Posts
I haven't "measured" mine but I did hafta crimp the bullets for the SBH Hunter more than the RH. I can't shoot the difference on the RH so I left the crimp where it is now for the both of them.

Thanks Gary, those are "beefy" for sure!

RJ

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.