Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I've seen very little mention of this cartridge and even less products. I've run across ammo and reloading stuff a time or two but it's rare. From what I've seen in reloading manuals and the few factory loadings, is it is very close to a .40 S&W but from Israel. It may be a little more powerful than the .40 but not much. It uses the .41 cal billets (obviously) so it doesn't have as much available even in reloading supplies.

They also made a 9mm AE. Which is esentially the same to the .41 AE as the .357 Sig is to the .40 S&W. Funny these trends a few decades back! I'd take a .41 AE only if it were given to me in a pre ban UZI with the giggle switch! :)

Other than that, I'd just stick to the more popular .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Maybe over in the Middle East or S. America these cartridges are more common? I know IWI and such sells a lot of stuff to S American countries.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reason for the question

I've seen very little mention of this cartridge and even less products.

Other than that, I'd just stick to the more popular .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Maybe over in the Middle East or S. America these cartridges are more common? I know IWI and such sells a lot of stuff to S American countries.
I agree. I mention it, because years ago I purchased all of the Speer .41 caliber bullets from a store that was going out of business. Just checked and found that among the lot were more than a few boxes of 180gr .41 caliber bullets without a cannelure. Called Speer and these are out of production bullets originally for the .41 Action Express. Thought that someone might enjoy them is the Action Express.

He told me that they may be used for the .41 Magnum also, however crimp may be an issue against the jacketed surface. I will try them. We'll see.

By the way, the bullets that I was after were the (now discontinued) 200gr. Speer Half Jacket (my favorite .41 jacketed bullet of all time). I took a pronghorn antelope and javelina with this bullet. Still have several boxes remaining. Great stuff!

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
the (now discontinued) 200gr. Speer Half Jacket (my favorite .41 jacketed bullet of all time).
I started loading that bullet in 1969 and loved it! I still have a part box somewhere. It's an EXpanding bullet but the front end is fragile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My best friend over in West Rutland, VT used to shoot it, and I reloaded ammo for him.
My best friend over in West Rutland, VT used to shoot it, and I reloaded ammo for him.
I started loading that bullet in 1969 and loved it! I still have a part box somewhere. It's an EXpanding bullet but the front end is fragile.
Just wondering if folks need brass dies loaded ammo, inherited 100's and 100's of pieces of brass (new and once fired), 100's of loaded rounds, new dies, and 1911 bbl....

Edited to remove phone number.

Please read stickies regarding posting items for sale.

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Three things shooters seem to not like. Most seem to have “peaks” and then a fall off in popularity.

Even if they have good ballistics...and the .41AE vs the .40SW is a real good comparison.

1. Anything .41….something just cursed about .41C,L .41AE, and .41mag.

2. Rebated rims...Let’s give folks all the back thrust concentrated in a smaller area just so we can use an existing head/ bolt size.

3. Semi-rims...kind of like being a “little bit” pregnant.

Someone out there is going to want to keep a reliable .41AE running, so likely you’ll find a few takers for your brass. Nothing wrong with one that reliably cycles.

Have fans with folks who already own them….just not fans with folks looking to buy the equivalent.

(from a .41mag. Fan...we likely shot up most of the .41AE bullets hanging around stores by now.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Three things shooters seem to not like. Most seem to have “peaks” and then a fall off in popularity.

Even if they have good ballistics...and the .41AE vs the .40SW is a real good comparison.

1. Anything .41….something just cursed about .41C,L .41AE, and .41mag.

2. Rebated rims...Let’s give folks all the back thrust concentrated in a smaller area just so we can use an existing head/ bolt size.

3. Semi-rims...kind of like being a “little bit” pregnant.

Someone out there is going to want to keep a reliable .41AE running, so likely you’ll find a few takers for your brass. Nothing wrong with one that reliably cycles.

Have fans with folks who already own them….just not fans with folks looking to buy the equivalent.

(from a .41mag. Fan...we likely shot up most of the .41AE bullets hanging around stores by now.)
Not a serious firearm guy, inherited some things, but do have a few boxes of 41 projectiles that would be used for reloading also. Have done a bit of research and noticed much of the 41AE info is fairly dated but thought there may be a few diehards hanging around who might be interested… additional info I gleaned ref reloading this is the use of .40 caliber bullets to create a “bore rider”!!!! Some posters swear by this concept. My items are all genuine 41AE but someone interested could use these with abundantly available.40’s to still enjoy their pistol. Just a thought

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,885 Posts
Zombie thread resurections are covered in this sticky

Requirements to sell things are found in this sticky

And reasons to not list phone numbers, among other things, in public forums is covered in this one

Thread closed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.