Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed that some of Beartooth bullets have this distance .420" and others .450". Could anybody tell me can 41 cal. Ruger NM Blackhawk and Bisley accept round with longer .450" meplat to crimp groove distance (in this case OAL for loaded round would be 1.740"). Thanks.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The cylinder on the Bisley and Blackhawk are about 1.67 inches in length, 1.672-1.674 on the three examples I have. The rim thickness of the Remington 41 Mag brass that I'm using is .055. This adds up to 1.725 which would preclude the use of the round based on the OAL you provided. I believe the Redhawk, if you can find a used one, had a longer cyinder, but I'm not sure about that.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I have a NM blackhawk and a redhawk in 41mag and the 280g beartooth is no problem in the long cylinder of the redhawk. The blackhawk has about the thickness of a thumbnail from the bullet nose to the end of the cylinder. IT is close! I have shot the 280's out of the blackhawk. I made sure the brass was trimmed to minimum and the bullet was crimped to the TOP of the crimp groove. I think the clearance .015" I'll have to look at my notes to be sure. doug

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Doug,
Which of the LBT bullets have you used that work in the Blackhawk? I'm looking to lay out some ching for some new custom LBT design bullet moulds and would like to know which ones work. I have a couple of Blackhawks, a 657, and a Bisley in .41 and would like your input on this matter.

Thanks,

Steven Bertram
"Backward Hick"

·
Banned
50 Posts
I use two LBT style bullets for both my 41's. The first is cast performance's 250WFNGC, the second is beartooth's 280WLNGC. I tried using 210g hornady jacketed's but they only go 25fps faster than the 250's. I load the 280 beartooth's to an OAL of 1.710". This leaves me .015" clearance and with a max crimp with the lee factory crimp die, the bullets don't jump to lock the action up. Going from the 5.5" redhawk to the 4 5/8" blackhawk, I lose 35fps. Those 280's are going 1265fps. Recoil is QUICK! Still .015 is pretty small for clearance wise. It really all depends on how big a bullet you want to shoot. How's your Bisley shoot? The local gun store has one and everytime i'm in their, i have to play with it. doug

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If your local gun shop has a Bisley in .41, you don't need to play with it, you need to buy it. It's a little more gun to pack around than the Blackhawk but it is much more pleasant to shoot. I'm more accurate with mine than the Blackhawks, but I suspect it has more to do with the increased sighting plain than anything else. When I used to have access to the SSK mould, I could get 1313fps with a 290gr cast bullet out of it. The recoil was rather stiff, but the accuracy was top notch and it nocked over anything I ever shot with it.

·
Banned
1 Posts
41fan said:
I use two LBT style bullets for both my 41's. The first is cast performance's 250WFNGC, the second is beartooth's 280WLNGC. I tried using 210g hornady jacketed's but they only go 25fps faster than the 250's....
What load recipe are you using for the 250 WFNGCs? I just loaded some mild 255 WFNGCs (CPs starting load) using W296 for my BH. E-mail or PM me with the info. TIA, Don.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts