Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a mold for the .41 Colt externally lubricated bullet? I know Rapine has a hollow base mold internally lubed number, but I think I may need one in the original configuration.
Thanks
DC

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,225 Posts
Try posting this on www.sixguns.com (the 'Campfire') if no one here knows.

That crowd is real knowledgable about the old-time cowboy stuff and I bet you get an answer in a matter of minutes.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, DMC:
Lyman made three moulds for the .41 Colt.
386176 - 163 gr. heeled round nose
386177 - 196 gr. heeled round nose
386178 - 200 gr. hollow base round nose

These are long since discontinued and there may be others. Western Bullet sometimes has old moulds.
http://missoula.bigsky.net/western/

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll head over to Sixguns from here, then see what Western Bullet has.
DC

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
DMC

Old West will make nearly whatever you want. One of his standards is close to the Lyman 386177, which is the heel type heavy bullet for the .41 Long Colt. Besides doing good work, the owner is a good Christian Gentleman who is a pleasure to deal with.

Look on Sixgunner for several articles by Harry-O on .41 L.C.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I got one. An old friend of mine, whom I had lost track of over the years, read the post and decided from the initials that it must be me because "You always were looking for oddball stuff". He tracked me down, confirmed that it was me, and then shipped me his Lyman mold. So, not only did I get my mold, but got a chance to renew an old friendship.
DC

·
Registered
254 Posts
The February 1943 issue of the American Rifleman has an excellent article on bullet lubrication.
In that article is the old factory recipe for the lubricant used for outside-lubricated bullets, such as the .41 Long Colt.
The recipe calls for:
1 part paraffin
1 part tallow (I use mutton tallow from Dixie Gun Works)
1/2 part beeswax.
All measures are by weight, not volume.
I use this ol-timey lubricant all the time and am quite pleased with it.
I use it for outside-lubricated, heeled bullets in the .32 Long Colt, which is fired in my original Marlin 1892 rifle.
Felt wads for my .36 and .44 cap and ball revolvers get dunked in it. Patches and over-powder felt wads in my .50 Hawken are soaked in this lubricant.
In black powder pistols or rifles, bores are left very clean when I use such wads. Without the wads, not so clean.
Soft lead bullets in my .44-40 and .45-70 rifles, loaded over black powder, are lubricated with it. Bores are left very clean if enough lubricant is used. If the bullet does not contain enough lubricant, I use a felt wad soaked in the lubricant.
Heck, I've even lubricated hard-cast bullets for my .357 with the stuff and it prevented leading up to 1,200 fps or so. I haven't tried higher velocities in my .357 with this lubricant so I don't know how it would fare.
I suspect it would work well at any reasonable .357 velocity (1,500 fps or so).
The above recipe very closely resembles the SPG lubricant sold today. Most people would have a hard time distinguishing between them.
Assembling ammunition with outside lubricated bullets requires more reloading steps, and requires more care in storage to ensure that the lubricant doesn't pick up crud and grit, but the dividend in old guns is often better accuracy than the hollowbased bullets.
Someday I'd like to have a .41 Colt to tinker with. I envy your project.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for digging out that recipe. I'll certainly give it a try. I love all the old cartridges and shoot as many as I can. Unfortunately, the cost of some of the guns is so high that I can't afford them. Oh well, bang away with what I have.
DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts