Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured someone would catch that. Yes, I do know, just haven't gotten around to trying them. I'm in the process of locating a Marlin 1894FG and intend to try the Beartooth bullets when I start loading for it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
DartonVPR, a word of warning. If you buy a Marlin FG .41 Magnum, DO NOT expect to use the Beartooth Bullet, .410 265 gr. GC, or heavier bullets. I guarantee you it will not feed through the action. And, it will chamber ONLY if you seat the bullet far above the crimp groove, but then you're talking about single load only.

I know. I bought the BTB 265 gr bullets, and they will not work in my Marlin 1894S .41 Mag. They do work just fine and are very accurate in my S&W Mdl. 57, however, so I carry them in the revolver, and some hard cast 220 Gr. Joe Penny bullets in cartridges made up for the rifle.

I don't know if Marshall's lighter .410 250 gr bullets would function or not, through the Marlin. I wish he made a .410 220 gr. GC. I think that would work like gangbusters through a Marlin .41 Mag.

My experiences, my rifle, only. L.W.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LW, have you tried any other bullets? I was wondering if the bullet design had any effect on it? Maybe a bullet with a larger meplat would cycle better? I just wish some of the larger manufacturers would start making heavier bullets for the 41. Say, a jacketed hollowpoint around 250 to 280 range?

·
Registered
206 Posts
DartonVPR, I've shot a bunch of different bullets in my Marlin... and my revolvers, S&W and Ruger.

Reloads, Factory bullets: Sierra 210 gr JHP; Speer JSWCHP 200 gr.; Speer 220 gr JSP; Rem 210 gr. JHP.

Cast bullets: Hard cast SWC 210 gr.; Hard cast 215 SWC Moly Coated; Hard Cast 220 gr. Joe Penny SWC; Beartooth Bullets 265 gr. GC.

Factory Cartridges: Fed., Rem., Win., 210 gr. JHPs.

All work well in my Marlin EXCEPT.... the Beartooth Bullets 265 gr., and the Speer JSWCHP 200 gr. As I said, the BTB is fine in my revolvers, but will NOT feed, or even lift onto the carrier, in the Marlin. I had to take the lever and bolt out to remove the loaded cartridge.

I'm no engineer, so can't tell exactly what's wrong, but guess from observing that the heavy, long bullet, can't make it through whatever tolerances Marlin set up for the factory .41 Mag. ammo specs. I don't think it's the meplat. Just too long.

As I said, if Marshall creates a 220 gr. GC .410, I'll be first in line to buy some.

I've shot everything from paper, tin cans, ground squirrels, deer and Black bear with the .41 Magnum in my Marlin and S&W, and they work great, as long as I don't shoot beyond the capabilities of a revolver round.

FWIW. L.W.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts