Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a load of 20.9grs or WW296 with a 210gr XTP in a Remington case and a Fed 155 primer. I'm curious how this compares to the loads any of you .41 fanatics are using with a comparable bullet. I shoot these in all my .41's with no problem. I'm just curious how it compares to what you regularly shoot. It does flatten the primers somewhat with no additional pressure indicators and good case life.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I shot some 210g XTP's with 22.0g of H110 out of my redhawk and while the recoil negligible, the velocity was only 43fps more than the 250g cast performance bullets I shoot. If I had a long barreled 41mag, i'd probably use the XTP's for deer. It's a nice bullet, but I think i'll stick to the 250's for general use. doug

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
41fan,
the only reason I'm using the XTP's is that I bought 5K blem bullets last year. The blemish is cosmetic only from what I can tell and the accuracy is as good as any bullet I've fired. I also shoot a SAECO #415 220gr TCGC that I drop out of a 4 cavity. For hunting I'm still using some SSK's that I cast out of a borrowed mould a few years ago. It's the same bullet that Beartooth sells, about 295grs. That bullet will go 1300fps out of my Bisley It penetrates well, but doesn't have the meplat for a true killer of larger game. It's almost odd how the 41,44, and 45 pretty much push a 300gr bullet to almost the same velocity. The 45LC will push a better bullet a little faster, but I never feel undergunned with the heavy 300gr 41's. I'm thinking of having a new mould, or a LBT design, made up somwhere in the 260-270gr range with a length suited to the Ruger Blackhawk cylinder length. I also shoot a 657, but I would never feed it the super stout loads, as it is a pre-improved frame strength model. I may go a little heavier if the cylinder length allows. I shoot on an indoor range in the winter and like to shoot jacketed bullets when indoors.

I'm just trying to get a comparison to what other people are doing. The Hornady manual shows this load at about 1.5 grs below max. The Winchester data shows it as a .5grs above. It shoots well and with no adverse pressure signs in the 3 Rugers and the Smith I mentioned. I know the Blackhawks will handle the heavier load, but I like to have a load I can fire in all my revolvers. I use the 296 for a lot of cartridges because it's relativley inexpensive when I buy it in the 8lb tin. I've played with H110 and find it a little more uniform, but very little. I still keep a few pounds of it around to experiment with. I also like to use AA#9 in the 41, but the 296 in large quantities is more readily available where I live.

I've tried most suitable powders in the .41, but I mainly use max velocity loads.I'm just looking to see what other people are using in my favorite revolver caliber.

Has anyone tried the .41GNR from Gary Reeder? I've got a new 6.5" Blackhawk that's almost beggin to get a rechamber. The only problem I see with the GNR round is that it's hyped with light bullets, not the heavy ones. If I want a varmint pistol, I'll use a 10mm. I would imagine with a necked cartridge that it would be detrimental to use a heavy cast bullet that intruded on the powder column. I would think it would have a opportunity to heat the bullet before it got out of the case. That might be a question for Marshall.

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Do use 296 in the .41mag., as well as 2400 and Unique, each with its own bullet.

Part of the problem is that Iv;e been shooting the .41 for a long time, found good loads that work, only to have later editions of loading manuals reduce thier charges leaving me "over the top". Noramlly, I'd not exceed a listed load...but in this case, i've been suing them for a bit more than 25 years, they show no problems in my guns, and I'll damned well keep using them (with the exception of the 2400 loads...presonal opinion is tht today's 2400 is NOT the same as the "old" 2400).

(Realize...these are my loads...I accept the possible danger of using them on a personal level, but don't recommend others use them).

Have used the 210gr. XTP, but tend to stick withe the old style speed JSWCHP 200gr. over 22.8gr. of 296. With a 220gr. cast SWC, have been using 18.0gr. of "new" 2400 in place of my old loading of 19gr....even the 18gr. loading is above what some data shows. Unique gets used in 9gr. doeses under a 210gr. cast WC.

Alos have an old 210gr. HBWC mold that gets used occasionally...but that ones gets very light target type loads...shoots great, but is such a pain in the rear to cast, I seldom use it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
H110 and WW296 are reported to be the same powder and differ just as one would expect lot to lot variations of the same powder. That being said I use a load of 23 grains of H110 with any bullet between 200-220 grains. There have been no pressure signs at all and the cases even drop free from the S&W revolvers. With the 170 Sierra I use 26 grains and with the 255 Cast Performance WNGC 22. Bullets used have been the Sierra 210, Hornady 210 JHP, XTP & FMJ, Speer 200 & 220, Remington 210 JSP.

One thing I did notice however is that Remington cases seem to develop pressure signs earlier than WW cases. I use only WW cases and WWLP primers for all full power loads and keep the Remington cases for target loads.

Attached is a picture of a .41 that Gary Reeder made for me two years ago. It is a .41 Magnum with a .41 GNR cylinder. Have not had a chance to load for the GNR yet. If you want something even better try the .410 GNR..I am thinking of having that cylinder added....

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RJM,
Thanks for the input, I'm just trying to see where I'm at. The tip on the Winchester brass is also useful, although it's been my experience that different brands of brass can take on different characteristics as far as this goes dependant on the caliber. I don't have any real pressure signs, except a slightly flattened primer, which I believe is a worthless sign of pressure in a revolver, much dependant on the actual brand of primer being used.

Keep me posted on you progress with the .41 GNR, as I said, I've got a new 6 1/2" Blackhawk that is a likely candidate. In the meantime I'm anxiously awaiting my order from Corbin to show up! I should probably go cast some bullets and relax, as it will likley be a couple months before I get it. I'm going to be making some heavy for caliber jacketed and base-guard lead bullets. I've had very good luck with the heavy SSK design bullet in the hunting length revolvers and am looking forward to seeing what I can do with some jacketed slugs.

That's a very nice revolver, I've often looked at Gary's stuff and considered having him make me one. How much "better" than a stock revolver, trigger pull excepted, is it? Is his finish a durable one?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am hoping to get around to loading up some .41 GNR rounds pretty soon now that the weather is getting nice enough to do some chrono work. But like you said, this cartridge is a light bullet proposition only. If you wanted to shoot real heavy .41s then look at his new .410 GNR. That will throw the heavy cast bullets very fast. It would also require a whole new barrel and cylinder on your gun as it can only be done 5 shot.
Garys work is excellent and well worth the money. I was lucky and had the work down when he was well below reasonable...it was cheap. The finish he puts on is great and much nicer than the Freedom Arms Premier finish. I am even thinking of having him do some engraving on that gun and put the Vapor Honed finish on.
Accuracy wise it is hard to tell. All my .41s seem to shoot well. This gun has only had 1 load through it and that is the 22 gr. H110/ 255 CPBC /1375 fps load. No target loads for this gun. I didn't get to hunt last season but hope to take a deer and maybe a black bear with it this year.....and antelope next....Bob

·
Registered
311 Posts
I put a red dot scope on a 657 Smith. Using Dry Creeks 230 gr Keith over 10 gr of AA 7 and resting the butt of the gun on the roof of my truck, I put 6 in 3/4" and in the center of the bull from 30 yards. Mild quiet practice load. I have never shot these over a chronograph but I am assuming they go about 1000-1100 fps.
I always end the shooting session with a full chamber of "hunters" so I don't get lulled to sleep by the light loads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
THE 41 MAG

RJM-
SURE LIKE THE IDEA OF THE GOLD BEAD FRONT SIGHT, AND INTEND TO PUT THEM ON MY NEW REDHAWK 5 1/2, WHEN IT GETS HERE. WHAT DOES THE REAR SIGHT LOOK LIKE?? I TOO AM A LONG TIME FAN, AND LOADER OF THE 41 MAG. i USE XTP'S FOR ALL HUNTING HANDGUN LOADS, AND USE A LOAD IN 800X THAT I GOT FROM GEORGE NONTE, FOR THE 41. I JUST SEE NO REASON TO GO ELSEWHERE HERE. WHILE IT IS TRUE SOME NEWER INFO MAY DELETE YOUR LOAD, IT SURE DOESN'T MEAN IT IS UNSAFE-- THAT HAPPENED TO ME WITH A 10MM LOAD FROM IMR-- I CALLED THEM ON IT, AND WAS TOLD THEY SIMPLY COULD NOT RECOMMEND IT AS A STEADY DIET IN THE AUTOS, BUT IT WAS FINE FOR REVOLVERS, OF WHICH I NOW HAVE 7. IF YOU HAVE A LOAD, AND THERE HAVE BEEN NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, I FOR ONE WOULD NOT BE REAL QUICK TO THROW IT OUT. IF THE POWDER MAKER STATES THERE HAS BEEN A BIG CHANGE IT YOUR POWDER, CALL THEM. CHANCES ARE, THEY WILL CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE, AS IN A NEW POWDER. REASON BEING THERE IS JUST SO MUCH INFO OUT THERE. OR THEY WILL JUST STOP MAKING YOUR POWDER ALTOGETHER, WHICH WE HAVE SEEN DONE.

STILL- BE CAREFUL--:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tusker,
If you ordered your gold bead from Ruger, the rear sight is a shallow V with a verticle white line beloe it. Works pretty good.

kciH,
About primer signs. I loaded 50 rnds of 230 Leadheads over 10 grs of A 7 and 50 rounds over 14 grs of A7. The 10 gr rounds have a flater primer than the 14s do. I assume it's not getting enough expansion to seal the brass to the cylinder walls and allowing the cases to slip back a bit. Nice load though, goes where you look.

Read an interesting article about Skeeter Skelton. He was an advocate of the 44 special 250 gr bullets and speeds of 1000 fps or less except when elk hunting when he bumped up to the Keith load of 17.5 grs of 2400 which gave a 1200 fps load. The point being that you don't HAVE to shoot a load that hurts you as bad as the recipient.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For further evidence of what Jim is saying about hunting loads, just read Linebaugh's deer and antelope hunting loads. The loads he has used to good effect are little more powerful than the factory ammunition with better designed lead bullets.

Jim,
I understand that the primers can be seen to get flatter, my argument is that if you use different brands of primers, they flatten at different pressure levels as a result of harder/softer cup material. The best way I know to determine if you're getting a good seal is the lack of black soot on the cartridge walls.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm sure you're right on the primers but I wouldn't know. Two things that don't change for the 41s are the primers, CCI 350s and the brass, WW. The 44 gets the same primers with Starline brass.
All of the light loads I have tried have shown smoky brass. The guns are dirty after shooting but my hands don't hurt. I'm not real big on unnecessary pain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tusker...sorry but I have not been over here in some time. The rear sight as was stated by another poster is an Express V with a white line. I shot ok with that set up but ended up replacing the rear sight with a peep sight from ONE RAGGED HOLE that is available through Brownells. It is like looking through a peep sight on a rifle.

Glad to see that there are so many .41 shooters out there. Just got to handle one of the new Ruger .41 Hunters...might be on the top of the "must have " list...and who here has bought one of the new Marlin .41 carbines to make sure that they keep them in production.....Bob

·
Registered
311 Posts
RJM,
I have trouble with verticle stringing of my groups with the peep sight. Have you seen any of that?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RJM,
In spite of Marlin listing the .41 carbines on their website, they are NOT a regular production rifle. They are making a certain number of them, all of which are allocated to dealers. If you want one, you'd best get it soon. If your dealer didn't want to get one, you can have him "find" one for you. There will be some around, but I'd rather buy it from a dealer now than get gouged for it later. The other unfortunate thing is that Marlin made this a Micro-groove barrel on the .41.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A Nice Set Of MDL-57- Twins

RJM- The TWINS--
This nice set of consecutive serial numbered MDL 57's arrived at long last. I've always been a fan of the 41, and HA! the 10MM. After arrival, it was decided that these are two pair of factory Rosewood grips, sure did make my day. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice Pair Tusker!!!

Old Jim,
No I have not had any problem with stringing shots with the peep type sights. Using a bead front sight I just put the bead on the target and when everything is centered just "squeeze" just like the peep sighted rifles I shoot. Had the same set on a Redhawk but recently sold the gun because only the factory grip came close to fitting my hand and with heavy loads it was unpleasant to shoot.

kciH...I am checking with my distributor as to the availability of the Marlin .41. I already have one of the original straight stock ones but if the right "used" pistol grip model come along I can't say I would turn it down.

Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
...and while we're on the subject of .41s.....has anyone tried loading the new 300 grain jacketed Hornady bullet for the .405 Winchester in the .41 Mag. case? The bullet diameter is .411 .vs .410 for the magnum.... Might be able to got 1500-1700 fps from a rifle. Just a thought....

Bob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RJM,
What kind of velocity are you getting out of your lever gun with the 210gr bullets? I'm thinking of getting one of the carbines to go with my revolvers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts