Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all,
Mabybe I'm just getting older.  Maybe I'm just getting smarter.  In any case, I bought my very first 41 Mag handgun yesterday.  I shot it this morning.  As a dyed in the wool 44 mag shooter, I was suprised.  Where did all the recoil go?  My first load moved a 220 gr bullet @ 1050 fps (4 5/8" bbl) with an es of 14.  I got 3" groups @ 50 yards and the gun is not firelapped or anything else yet.  I shot 12 rounds of the Federal 250gr LBT cast loads (1175 fps) and the recoil simply was not bad.  

Despite all this excitement the reason for this post is to seek advice from all you 41 mag lovers.  Outside of Loadswap, do you have any favorite loads for play or serious work (I have Marshall's 265 gr bullets on order) for lead or jacketed bullets?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

God bless................  Bill M

·
Banned
50 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but the 170 sierra seems like it would be a fun one to try.  Try 21.0g of W296/H110 for a serious load with a 250, 265, 280 bullet and hold on.  These are in my redhawk, though.  doug

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations, I own three .41 mags, and like them.  My classic load has always been 20.5 gr H110 or WW296 and a 210 gr JHP/JSP.  This has been a good shooter in my Blackhawks.  I would like to expirement with a 250-265 Gr LWFPT or similar.

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ditto on the 20.5 gr W296/210gr JHP load.  Shoots very well out of my 6.5" Blackhawk.  19.5 grains of W296 with 215 hard-cast SWCs, makes a good heavy plinker-varmint/jackrabbit-carry in the woods load.

250-265 gr hard-cast loads will have to researched and tested.

Another good powder for 41 mags is Blue Dot.

I now have a 14" T/C Contender bbl with Williams target sights to play with.

41 mag is a great cartridge that is unfortunately unduly underrated and unappreciated except by a few of us hard-core 41 afficienados.  Welcome to our little band of 41ophiles.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Anybody do any work with WC820 in the 41? I've got to start shooting this 10" Bullberry Contender barrel in this Caliber.

I've got some 265 gr LBT WLN pills to try also.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Blackhawk has a 4 digit serial number. I have used Speer 220 gr. half jacket SWC, 2400 powder & cci primers since I started. Have added a S&W M-57 (4"bbl) and a Taurus "tracker" as of late ( got a M57-1, 8" bbl spotted that is for sale). Speer 200 HP & Hornady 210 HP used in last two, same powder & primer. every thing from tin cans to jack rabbits (pickup truck head lights- 167 paces- 1 shot 1 kill= best shot) to deer have met my 41 & have not lived to regret it.
you are right , the only thing a 44 will do that the 41 will not is kick harder.If you are interested I could tell you a story of a 44mag shooter (?) who tried to prove me wrong , shooting same type of handgun, same style bullet, same powder, etc. after I got same penertration on same media at 35 yds as he did he gave up. Couple years later admitted that he was using charge 5 GRAINS OVER MAXIMUM, to try to beat me.
Have fun with your 41!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Charlie,

How do you like your Tracker? Is it the SS or Titanium model. I have The Titanium model. I am pleased with it. The trigger has become very nice after breakin. At 28 oz it carrys very nice but that does negate some of the recoil advantage.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Now ya done it guys,

You made me drag my ol "four didgit" .41 out for some shootin.

Good Grief...why do I have these other guns?

;*)

I forgot just what a fine piece Bill Ruger made. Reading some of Paco's articles in the Sixgunner archieves helped kindle the old fire.

I don't know what it is about that old Ruger, but it seems to be the most accurate of my handguns and more plesant to shoot than my .357.

I think perhaps some varmint calling is in order for the weeks to come.

Blessings All,

Scotty

·
Registered
572 Posts
For those of you who may be looking, Paco Kelly considers "Blue Dot" the premier powder for the .41 Mag

His article on "The Dots" can be found at:

<a href="http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/pprofile5.htm

Enjoy,

Scotty" target="_blank">http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/pprofile5.htm

Enjoy,

Scotty</a>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts