Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is an AWESOME caliber! I have three 41 Magnums and no plans to acquire any 44 Magnums.

Is your Ruger revolver a Blackhawk® or a Redhawk®?

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Ending up liking the .41mag better even though I started out a 44mag fan. It’s not a lot less recoil/energy/penetration….but just enough less that I appreciate shooting the .41mag.

NOT that you can’t own both the .41 and .44...it’s not an either-or question.

Can’t champion it as equal to the .44mag….at the same pressure, powder volume, barrel length and bullet base area are real good predictors of performance.

Was the “middle child” back then...357/.41/.44 mag….didn’t get the love and attention.

Today, with the .45 and .50 mags, could consider the .44mag as the “middle child”.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Years ago, had opportunity to purchase a Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw (still unmodified) that had been well cared for by previous owner. Found it extremely easy to reload for and accurate . The plowhandle grip on the Blackhawk fits my hand nicely as well as the grandson's. He has it now and won't part with it for anything.:)

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
At the risk of being involved in a skirmish? I don't see a really measurable difference in the performance of a .41 vs .44?
One is .41 cal and the other .43 I have a sweet spot for the .41mag, but have fired thousands of rounds of full loaded .44 and have more experience with it. I believe with similar bullet construction and weights, there is no discernable difference in their terminal effects. I'd rather have a .41 but currently I don't own either.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Years ago, had opportunity to purchase a Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw (still unmodified) that had been well cared for by previous owner. Found it extremely easy to reload for and accurate . The plowhandle grip on the Blackhawk fits my hand nicely as well as the grandson's. He has it now and won't part with it for anything.:)
My son currently, has my father's Mod 57 4" and a couple hundred rounds of ammo, that I loaded for it in 1981. Memories....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Fine cartridge. I had a Ruger SBH 7 1/2" I liked as well as any .44 Mag I ever owned. Bullets weren't as plentiful, but still enough variety to keep me happy.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
I bought my first .41 the first day I worked at the gunshop as gunsmith. The boss said I had a charge account so I paid $85 for a used Blackhawk, old model 4 5/8" Blue. I handloaded it hot, mild and in between and became accustomed to hitting things I aimed at with it. I had it brush nickled and made grips and had a brother in law talk me out of it. He still won't sell it back...at triple what he paid.
As a deputy sheriff, I carried a 4"nickle Model 58, and bought a couple more Blackhawks and eventually bought a lump of rusted river-found New Model Blackhawk .357 6" and turned it into the revolver pictured above. This was late '80s when Ross Seyfried was writing of big, heavy, cast slugs in big bore revolvers and I became a convert with the custom BH. The barrel is a 1-14 Douglas blank and has never shot any bullet but 255 gr. LBT, quenched wheel weights. The sights are one fixed (75yard) and one folding (175yards) zeros and if anybody wants to go $20 hit or miss on a propane bottle at 400 yards. Come on! The range is open.
Penetration on elk sized game and larger is clear through with a ricochet on the other side.

In my opinion, the 41 bore diameter is the first useable long-heavy caliber and gives great case capacity with the longer bullets.
I've got two other .41s that shoots 'standard' 210 Jacketed bullets just fine, but the BH is at another level.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My uncle taught to reloaded his Smith 57 8.375" back in 84, right after I turned 19. Year later got my first M57 6", followed by many more .41s Started casting my bullets after decades of buying lead 210 gr SWC. Now cast 195gr SWC to 270 gr WFN.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

CD

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I thought the standard Blackhawk was only available in 41 Mag. with either the 4 5/8" or 6 1/2" barrels, with the 7 1/2" barrel only available on the Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Models in 41 Mag. Is yours a new or old model Blackhawk? Blued or stainless?
If you are not already aware, Starline has '41 Special' (I know, officially..."there is no such thing!") brass available for those that want better load density for low recoiling lighter loads. I bought some for my Model 657, but have not yet loaded any.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought the standard Blackhawk was only available in 41 Mag. with either the 4 5/8" or 6 1/2" barrels, with the 7 1/2" barrel only available on the Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Models in 41 Mag. Is yours a new or old model Blackhawk? Blued or stainless?
If you are not already aware, Starline has '41 Special' (I know, officially..."there is no such thing!") brass available for those that want better load density for low recoiling lighter loads. I bought some for my Model 57, but have not yet loaded any.
I just looked on Ruger s website. The BH in 41 can be had in 6 1/2 barrel length. I accidentally typed the wrong length.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts