Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
One of the stories about the formulation of the .41 Mag by the major gun writers of the time, was the agreement by S&W to make three models available in the new caliber. According to Bill Jordan and Col. Askins in conversations years later, the third model was to be the Model 59 to complete the deluxe sporting Model 57 and the M&P 4" duty gun Model 58. The Model 59 was to be a compact 'undercover', round butt, fixed sight, 3" barrel.
In 1990, my best buddy called from a gun show with a pretty much ruined M58 that had been pitted and then buffed until it looked like a lump of road tar, but the sideplates were good as was the bore. It was just UGLY. I gave $150 for it and turned it into what I would imagine the Model 59 prototype would have been. THEN, they'd have made it a five shot!

The barrel shortened, round butted, stoned flat and true, rust blued, grips made of Macassar Ebony. All markings re-engraved. Original serial retained.

Its not hard to see why it wouldn't have worked well with detectives. The Model 13, .357 mag at bottom was very briefly the 'standard issue' FBI side-arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I very recently happened onto a mint condition Ruger 41 magnum revolver at my local pawn store. I really liked this handgun so I ended up putting it in layaway!
I wanted to see what others thought of the 41 magnum. A friend of mine several years ago had a similar one also in 41. I really enjoyed shooting his!
I purchased a S&W Model 57 in .41 Mag in 1978 (the year my son was born). I have shot both factory and reloads with this firearm. I thought about selling it one year and took it out to the range for one last shooting session. This firearm proved to be soooo accurate (with reloads) that I packed it up and still have it today. This model has the 8 3/8" barrel, serrated trigger, white outline rear sight and red front ramp. To spruce it up just a bit, I took some Rosewood grips from a Model 25 (still an N-frame pistol) and replaced my standard Model 57 grips with those. Cased in a wooden box, I absolutely love this caliber. Enjoy your range time! John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have been a .41 Shooter since the mid-1970s...started with a nickel 58 and in all those years didn't own or reload for a .41 for maybe a year or two.

Started this thread a few years ago and there are lots of good links and posts to everything .41... Hard to wrong with a .41 of any flavor....

Bob

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Wow, lots of folks have come here with empty hands and lots of questions. Not you, you're here to give and ya brought something with you. Again, Wow and you're most welcome here and howdy. Thank you, lots of helpful info added by you. Thank You.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Wow, lots of folks have come here with empty hands and lots of questions. Not you, you're here to give and ya brought something with you. Again, Wow and you're most welcome here and howdy. Thank you, lots of helpful info added by you. Thank You.
I'll second that, Pudfark!
RJM52, You are 'Off with a bang', excellent reference link, with plenty of 41 Special coverage, too! Welcome aboard!(y):)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I guided on wild hogs while in grad school. I preferred the 41 magnum over the 44 mag: It was very hard to find a short barrel 44 mag and the Super Blackhawk always seemed to scratch my armpit when in a shoulder holster, so I carried a 4.5" OM Blackhawk in 41 with hardcast or a 45 Colt with hardcast. I also got better penetration than with the 44, it seemed. Now I live (and worked as a wildlife bio) in grizzly country, so I carry my Reeder 454 or a Glock 10mm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Took 10 years to collect them all back in the mid 80's-90's the 41 Mag and the 44 Special were the hard ones to find, the 357 mag and 44 mag were much easier to find

I ran a few cylinders through it when I first got it but it has been years since I have fired it

Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

21 - 40 of 67 Posts