Shooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Made my next payment on my Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum!

I think you're gonna like it!
What barrel length?
6 1/2 inch barrel.

I bought my first .41 Mag Blackhawk in 1969 and have never been without at least two since then.

This one is my pride and joy.
Nice picture!

You need to buy a Henry Lever to go with it!
Henry makes a super nice 41 magnum rifle!

My uncle taught to reloaded his Smith 57 8.375" back in 84, right after I turned 19. Year later got my first M57 6", followed by many more .41s Started casting my bullets after decades of buying lead 210 gr SWC. Now cast 195gr SWC to 270 gr WFN.

View attachment 104112

CD
Like your collection of 41 magnums!

I thought the standard Blackhawk was only available in 41 Mag. with either the 4 5/8" or 6 1/2" barrels, with the 7 1/2" barrel only available on the Super Blackhawk Hunter and Bisley Models in 41 Mag. Is yours a new or old model Blackhawk? Blued or stainless?
If you are not already aware, Starline has '41 Special' (I know, officially..."there is no such thing!") brass available for those that want better load density for low recoiling lighter loads. I bought some for my Model 657, but have not yet loaded any.
Mine is the regular Blackhawk with 6 1/2 inch barrel.

Does yours also have a 7 1/2" barrel? I can't find a reference to one!
6 1/2 inch barrel.

Thanks! I have reloaded in the past. I am planning on getting back into it! Thanks again!
I will keep that in mind! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
High quality guns always increase in value faster and go high than junky ones. And they're almost always discontinued due to high cost of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
Look at the changes in S&W revolvers. The quality of the '50s were gone by the '70s and the milled and case hardened parts were replaced by pressed metal and overall quality by 2k resembles what the Brazilians were making in the '60s. Of course people that love quality will pay more for a 'good 'un' than a brand new one.

• Love
Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've owned several .41s both Smith and BH; same for the .44 mag. My current .41 situation is an M57 6" and a BH 6.5". Both were acquired in the 1970s. I love the .41 and not because it's better or worse than other big bores. The .41 stands on its own. After killing a dumptruck load of deer with the .357, .41 and .44 I decided the .41 was the perfect whitetail cartridge. My 3-screw BH is super accurate, easy to shoot and carry, and like the other two mags is a one-shot bambi dropper.

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
9 Posts
Compare the 90s vintage Ruger GP100 and Redhawk to those that are made today... I have a 90s vintage GP-100 .357 and a new GP-100 10mm and the quality is the same.. Also had a 90s vintage 5" .41 Magnum Redhawk and new 4.2 and 2.75" .41 Redhawks and the quality is the same and maybe even a little better...

Compare that to S&W...they could have stayed with the same quality and design that has been the mainstay of they company...instead they put in safety locks, tensioned barrels, poor finishing and blue that comes off with Hoppe's #9...

It's why Ruger gets all my "new" handgun money and S&W only "used"....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a single action lever guy. I have several blackhawks and Henry. I have a 6.5 blackhawks 41 and a 7.5 blackhawks bisley 41 and a Henry. Bigboy 41 it is a real tossup if. I like 41 the most or 45 colt

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's difficult to make an "apples to apples" comparison in rounds that use projectiles of different weight, but TO ME, the .41 mag always seemed to have a "sharper" sort of recoil than the .44 mag. The difference was never unpleasant, just "different". It always seemed SLIGHTLY sharper than the .44, and MUCH sharper than magnum-level .45 Colt rounds. I know that 210 gr. at 950 f/s or 1350 f/s SHOULD feel the same, no matter what caliber it's in, but it seems I can always feel the "sharpness" of the .41 mag. As I said, it's never bothersome for me, just distinctive.
Various of my shooting associates who use a .41 for their magnum revolver not only like it, but seem to defend it fiercely when it is compared to the .44 or .45 Colt +P+ "infinity". Among other things, I am told that in hunting situations, the .41's projectiles tend to drive more deeply than the .44's (which makes sense, in terms of decreased bore frontal area) which goes toward delivering "through and through" wounds, when desirable. I guess that, if someone was to go hunting jack rabbits with a .460 Weatherby, once in a while, the ventilated beastie will end up running, instead of doing the "DRT" thing. I'd wager that through and through wounds make tracking a less complicated matter.
I have NOT observed that the .41 magnum is easier to master than the .44 Magnum, but I could be missing something. The old Remington factory mid-range load was something like 210 gr. LSWC at 950 f/s, which kicks substantially more than a .44 Mag loaded with specials. Stoking the .44 with the Skelton-Keith load turns things around again, but I've never seen such a load offered in factory trim.
I DO believe that, if a game animal does not fall cleanly to a .41 Mag, then shooting it with a .44 Mag (OR a .45 Colt +P infinity) would likely have given the same result. If the better penetration of hunting bullets is really "a thing", this may be why.
I LIKE the round, but I've gone the route of .45 ACP & .45 Colt (and sometimes, .45 Colt +P+ "infinity"), in the interest of simplifying supply and logistics issues. I would end up finding the (undeserved) "odd ball" nature of the .41 Magnum irritating.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Before I retired, as a cop, were I mandated to carry revolver only, it would have been a .41 I carried by choice a 1911 in .45 The only thing irritating to me about a .41 is finding factory ammo?

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
I carried a M58 Smith .41 mag on duty for five years but only because S&W didn't make the Model 13 or M65 at the time. I broke two rear sights off a M29 in a month and wanted the M&P style with a heavy barrel. At that time, only the M58 fit the bill.
I also had a Ruger BH in .41 and made a shark bang stick in .41 because I REALLY like the caliber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's difficult to make an "apples to apples" comparison in rounds that use projectiles of different weight, but TO ME, the .41 mag always seemed to have a "sharper" sort of recoil than the .44 mag. The difference was never unpleasant, just "different". It always seemed SLIGHTLY sharper than the .44, and MUCH sharper than magnum-level .45 Colt rounds. I know that 210 gr. at 950 f/s or 1350 f/s SHOULD feel the same, no matter what caliber it's in, but it seems I can always feel the "sharpness" of the .41 mag. As I said, it's never bothersome for me, just distinctive.
Various of my shooting associates who use a .41 for their magnum revolver not only like it, but seem to defend it fiercely when it is compared to the .44 or .45 Colt +P+ "infinity". Among other things, I am told that in hunting situations, the .41's projectiles tend to drive more deeply than the .44's (which makes sense, in terms of decreased bore frontal area) which goes toward delivering "through and through" wounds, when desirable. I guess that, if someone was to go hunting jack rabbits with a .460 Weatherby, once in a while, the ventilated beastie will end up running, instead of doing the "DRT" thing. I'd wager that through and through wounds make tracking a less complicated matter.
I have NOT observed that the .41 magnum is easier to master than the .44 Magnum, but I could be missing something. The old Remington factory mid-range load was something like 210 gr. LSWC at 950 f/s, which kicks substantially more than a .44 Mag loaded with specials. Stoking the .44 with the Skelton-Keith load turns things around again, but I've never seen such a load offered in factory trim.
I DO believe that, if a game animal does not fall cleanly to a .41 Mag, then shooting it with a .44 Mag (OR a .45 Colt +P infinity) would likely have given the same result. If the better penetration of hunting bullets is really "a thing", this may be why.
I LIKE the round, but I've gone the route of .45 ACP & .45 Colt (and sometimes, .45 Colt +P+ "infinity"), in the interest of simplifying supply and logistics issues. I would end up finding the (undeserved) "odd ball" nature of the .41 Magnum irritating.
Nice reply lots of truth but I want trying to compare the 41 and the 45 colt and not looking to make a choice i have both reload for both shoot both and love both equally

Just a day to day question "which one do I take today"
Thanks for your insight

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
The 'bang stick' was a piece of light SS tubing about six feet long. On the working end was a simple, fixed firing pin, fixed breech silver soldered to the end. The chamber was also SS with a couple O rings for friction. There was a cross pin safety, but it was never loaded unless there was a shark coming in. A sharp jab in the sweet spot and the biggest sharks rolled over. They can be made in any caliber, of course. I always had a .41 and ammo with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 'bang stick' was a piece of light SS tubing about six feet long. On the working end was a simple, fixed firing pin, fixed breech silver soldered to the end. The chamber was also SS with a couple O rings for friction. There was a cross pin safety, but it was never loaded unless there was a shark coming in. A sharp jab in the sweet spot and the biggest sharks rolled over. They can be made in any caliber, of course. I always had a .41 and ammo with me.
thanks for the info. Do you reload for the 41 if so what type of loads self defense, hunting, target,lead,Hp,etc

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
I started reloading .41 Mag in1969 with H-4227 and 200 Speer HP. I moved to the Hornaday 210HP in 1971 and then fully embraced Ross Seyfried's 'hard and heavy' philosophy by build a .41 with slightly faster twist and bought a two cavity LBT mold that throws 255 gr. wheel weight bullets. I load light at 1080fps. Its never failed to put down what it hits. Penetration is beyond belief (Bullet noses smear when they hit concrete under seven feet of water).
I'm zeroed at 75 yards with the fixed blade and 175 with the flip-up.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 67 Posts