Shooters Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the repost! That sounds like a nice load I am also a 4227 fan awesome powder. Depending on what I'm doing I use either hornady xtp or a layman 220 grin Keith. Bullet that heavy 01080fps what are you shooting with that

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
Now days I just shoot it against the mountainside for fun and money. :)
I carried the SA for eight years traveling remote corners of the west and got a chance to shoot it quite a bit. It was re-built from a .357 found in the Colorado River in the mid '80s. I finished it in '88.

Seyfried preached penetration as king. I agree. The long, heavy bullets do it in spades. I had the sad duty one time of trailing up a wild horse that had been hit by a bus and had a broken leg. I shot him at 210 steps on the edge of a large, Nevada salt pan and saw three bullet strikes beyond the horse as he crumpled from a high shoulder-spine shot. I dared not stick around for a post-mortem or go look for the bullet. In those days such a shooting, even purely out of mercy, was a very serious offense under the Wild Horse Annie Act.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice reply lots of truth but I wasn't trying to compare the 41 and the 45 colt and not looking to make a choice i have both reload for both shoot both and love both equally.
I agree, and didn't really seek to "talk you out of" your .41 Mags. I DID engage in the comparison because I was amazed at how differently the three cartridges behave, despite their ballistic similarities. The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.

Just a day to day question "which one do I take today"
Thanks for your insight.
OH, yes, I LOVE days like that! "Hmm...What shall I drive, today, the Porsche 911 Turbo, or the Aston Martin Lagonda?" THESE are such dilemmas as I ENJOY having! I own neither automobile, but I may be close with some of my firearms.
"What shall be my EDC pistol for today? Will it be my alloy framed Ruger 1911 Commander, or will it be my .38 Super EAA Witness Elite?"
Either way, how can I choose wrongly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, and didn't really seek to "talk you out of" your .41 Mags. I DID engage in the comparison because I was amazed at how differently the three cartridges behave, despite their ballistic similarities. The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.

OH, yes, I LOVE days like that! "Hmm...What shall I drive, today, the Porsche 911 Turbo, or the Aston Martin Lagonda?" THESE are such dilemmas as I ENJOY having! I own neither automobile, but I may be close with some of my firearms.
"What shall be my EDC pistol for today? Will it be my alloy framed Ruger 1911 Commander, or will it be my .38 Super EAA Witness Elite?"
Either way, how can I choose wrongly?
See you understand what stress we sometimes face I know its rough but some how we seem to deal with it lol

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
Kosh said :
The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.
I very much agree. I've shot them all and consider the .41Mag as the first of the 'useful big-bores'. The first .44 Mag Blackhawks were absolutely brutal to shoot in the '60s. In GS school a shooting buddy had a Super BH that calmed it down considerably but too much for me. A .357 is brash, loud and obnoxious to me, but the .41 was just right. That decision was made in '69. A M57 was too nice for a duty gun (a short-lived M29 got beat up bad) but a deputy in a neighboring county complained about the heavy duty gun he'd been talked into buying and he was a baliff ! I gave him an old M10 light barrel and a M36 Chief for the nickeled M58 I carried for five years.
I switched to H-110 powder to cut down on muzzle flash in 1970 because a guy that worked at Olin in St. Marks traded me an eight pound keg of it for a 'raccoon-dog puppy.

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kosh said :

I very much agree. I've shot them all and consider the .41Mag as the first of the 'useful big-bores'. The first .44 Mag Blackhawks were absolutely brutal to shoot in the '60s. In GS school a shooting buddy had a Super BH that calmed it down considerably but too much for me. A .357 is brash, loud and obnoxious to me, but the .41 was just right. That decision was made in '69. A M57 was too nice for a duty gun (a short-lived M29 got beat up bad) but a deputy in a neighboring county complained about the heavy duty gun he'd been talked into buying and he was a baliff ! I gave him an old M10 light barrel and a M36 Chief for the nickeled M58 I carried for five years.
I switched to H-110 powder to cut down on muzzle flash in 1970 because a guy that worked at Olin in St. Marks traded me an eight pound keg of it for a 'raccoon-dog puppy.
I agree about the 357 it was my first hand gun and it is loud ,rude,unmannered but awesome in a lever gun. I moved from the 357 to 45 cap then discovered the 45 colt and decided I didn't need the 44mag I already had a gun that would do what it would do then friend introduced me to the 41 and I took the bait and have not been sorry don't get me wrong I have nothing against the 44 at all I just can't justify another round that is so close to the 41 and 45 that I already have

61 - 67 of 67 Posts