Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the repost! That sounds like a nice load I am also a 4227 fan awesome powder. Depending on what I'm doing I use either hornady xtp or a layman 220 grin Keith. Bullet that heavy 01080fps what are you shooting with that

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Now days I just shoot it against the mountainside for fun and money. :)
I carried the SA for eight years traveling remote corners of the west and got a chance to shoot it quite a bit. It was re-built from a .357 found in the Colorado River in the mid '80s. I finished it in '88.

Seyfried preached penetration as king. I agree. The long, heavy bullets do it in spades. I had the sad duty one time of trailing up a wild horse that had been hit by a bus and had a broken leg. I shot him at 210 steps on the edge of a large, Nevada salt pan and saw three bullet strikes beyond the horse as he crumpled from a high shoulder-spine shot. I dared not stick around for a post-mortem or go look for the bullet. In those days such a shooting, even purely out of mercy, was a very serious offense under the Wild Horse Annie Act.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice reply lots of truth but I wasn't trying to compare the 41 and the 45 colt and not looking to make a choice i have both reload for both shoot both and love both equally.
I agree, and didn't really seek to "talk you out of" your .41 Mags. I DID engage in the comparison because I was amazed at how differently the three cartridges behave, despite their ballistic similarities. The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.

Just a day to day question "which one do I take today"
Thanks for your insight.
OH, yes, I LOVE days like that! "Hmm...What shall I drive, today, the Porsche 911 Turbo, or the Aston Martin Lagonda?" THESE are such dilemmas as I ENJOY having! I own neither automobile, but I may be close with some of my firearms.
"What shall be my EDC pistol for today? Will it be my alloy framed Ruger 1911 Commander, or will it be my .38 Super EAA Witness Elite?"
Either way, how can I choose wrongly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, and didn't really seek to "talk you out of" your .41 Mags. I DID engage in the comparison because I was amazed at how differently the three cartridges behave, despite their ballistic similarities. The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.

OH, yes, I LOVE days like that! "Hmm...What shall I drive, today, the Porsche 911 Turbo, or the Aston Martin Lagonda?" THESE are such dilemmas as I ENJOY having! I own neither automobile, but I may be close with some of my firearms.
"What shall be my EDC pistol for today? Will it be my alloy framed Ruger 1911 Commander, or will it be my .38 Super EAA Witness Elite?"
Either way, how can I choose wrongly?
See you understand what stress we sometimes face I know its rough but some how we seem to deal with it lol

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Kosh said :
The .41 Mag., .44 Mag, and .45 Colt are all capable of launching a 225 gr. projectile at 1400 f/s, largely with the same propellant. The loads, nonetheless, feel different to me in firearms chambered for each, even when of very similar configuration.
I very much agree. I've shot them all and consider the .41Mag as the first of the 'useful big-bores'. The first .44 Mag Blackhawks were absolutely brutal to shoot in the '60s. In GS school a shooting buddy had a Super BH that calmed it down considerably but too much for me. A .357 is brash, loud and obnoxious to me, but the .41 was just right. That decision was made in '69. A M57 was too nice for a duty gun (a short-lived M29 got beat up bad) but a deputy in a neighboring county complained about the heavy duty gun he'd been talked into buying and he was a baliff ! I gave him an old M10 light barrel and a M36 Chief for the nickeled M58 I carried for five years.
I switched to H-110 powder to cut down on muzzle flash in 1970 because a guy that worked at Olin in St. Marks traded me an eight pound keg of it for a 'raccoon-dog puppy.

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kosh said :

I very much agree. I've shot them all and consider the .41Mag as the first of the 'useful big-bores'. The first .44 Mag Blackhawks were absolutely brutal to shoot in the '60s. In GS school a shooting buddy had a Super BH that calmed it down considerably but too much for me. A .357 is brash, loud and obnoxious to me, but the .41 was just right. That decision was made in '69. A M57 was too nice for a duty gun (a short-lived M29 got beat up bad) but a deputy in a neighboring county complained about the heavy duty gun he'd been talked into buying and he was a baliff ! I gave him an old M10 light barrel and a M36 Chief for the nickeled M58 I carried for five years.
I switched to H-110 powder to cut down on muzzle flash in 1970 because a guy that worked at Olin in St. Marks traded me an eight pound keg of it for a 'raccoon-dog puppy.
I agree about the 357 it was my first hand gun and it is loud ,rude,unmannered but awesome in a lever gun. I moved from the 357 to 45 cap then discovered the 45 colt and decided I didn't need the 44mag I already had a gun that would do what it would do then friend introduced me to the 41 and I took the bait and have not been sorry don't get me wrong I have nothing against the 44 at all I just can't justify another round that is so close to the 41 and 45 that I already have

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Yes I did.....partly to prove a buffed/ruined gun could be brought back by stoning and polishing. The 3" barrel conversion is tough. All the extractor parts have to be shortened too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Back in the day, for awhile, I would'a loved to have had a Smith like yours JBelk and a 5" barrel on the Ruger....there, I did it and shamed myself, again. :oops:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
In 1964, if S&W had launched the 41 Magnum in the Highway Patrolman / Model 28 format, I believe the caliber would have taken off in popularity.
This was just about the time handgun hunting was transitioning from stunt to acceptance and a number of states were rewriting regulations to make handgun hunting legal.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I agree Ralph. Further consideration to a few years later at the advent of the Dirty Harry deeds, The Model 28 offered in .41 mag would have had a greater significance and impact, with Police Officers. It would have for me. A large Magnum capable revolver at half the cost of the Model 29, it would have gained acceptance and popularity, no doubt. Model 29's were 500-700 bucks back then, unaffordable to most cops. A lot of hunters, it seems, wanted more horsepower?

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Model 57 is a finely finished N frame and sold for considerably less that M29 when the Dirty Harry craze hit. Originally, there was supposed to be a Model 58 M&P, Model 57 and a Model 59 pictured above that was never made.

Reactions: Pudfark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have to respectfully disagree...having been in the business for thirty years I can tell you the majority of the officers can't handle the recoil from even the 950 fps load. At that time women were also coming into policing so add that to the problem.

While Keith/Skelton/Jordan were all correct in their better LE revolver theory, they were shooters and just refused to understand that 95 of their brother officers were not. Also remember they wanted mid-size revolver not an N frame...what today would be an L frame or GP100...the Old Colt Trooper would have been perfect for a .41 Special, not Magnum.

Perfect example is the cartridge they really wanted in the first place...the .40 S&W. 180 grain .40 caliber bullet going 950-1000 fps...just perfect....and if you check you'll find that many of the officers scores were way down only to go back up again when their department dropped the .40 and went to 9mm.

It seems for the "average" LEO the 9mm and .38 Special are about all most can tolerate recoil wise... If revolvers were still populat to me the GP100 MC in 10mm/.40 S&W would be the ideal belt gun... Size and weight are great, fast loading and lots of grip options. Loads from mild to wild...but I really believe the majority of the officers woud find even .40 S&W unpleasant compared to the .38 Special 158 +P FBI load...

Bob

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Seems to me now days, officers have to shoot to live, more so than in the past. But what do I know, I discharged my 'service weapon' 27 times in 27 years. Ambushed everytime. Didn't always hit where I wanted to, but didn't miss either. People are a helluva a lot harder to put down, dope, booze etc. than most folks realize. That's a tough thing to learn, was for an officer standing beside me, .38 spl +p, yeah, he got shot. LIttle people don't belong as LEO's. I don't care who says it, BTW I'm only 5'10, back then 220 lbs, fit. Mark me down as not being politically correct, I left before stupid took over. So, I get it, little guns for little folks. Don't hire little folks.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,042 Posts
Starting to drift out to sea fellas...

Reactions: Im2Tall2Play2!

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
You're right (as usual) Darkker. Apologies. I'll just sum this up and say, the .41 mag does most everything well, so does a 3/4 ton truck. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone else have "too many" molds for their .41s? Have to admit I have no clue how many .41 molds I have...they run from a Lee 165 grain wadcutter to a 300 grain Mountain Molds LBT style...

Favorites right now are:
MP 180 that also makes a 175 PentaPoint and 165 HP
MP 220 Keith...the original 1960s style that also has pins for 215 PP and 212 HP
Accurate 41-250L...about all one really needs in a "heavy" for a .41. 22.0 grains of H110 runs it 1444 fps from a 6" FA654. It will also fit in the short cylinder of a FA97.

Jacketed bullets:
170 Sierra JHC...deer grenade...26.0 grains of H110 runs 1650 in a 6.5" Blackhawk
Barnes 180 XPB...not really "jacketed" as it is an all copper bullet. Expands rapidly, holds together and penetrates deeply...favorite SD bullet in a .41
210 Speer DeepCurl (Gold Dot)...expands over a wide velocity range without blowing up

...and yours?

Bob

61 - 78 of 78 Posts