Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am always looking for new loads that i may not have tried for the .41 mag, i use my .41 for deer hunting/plinking. i am currently shooting 210 grn hornaday xtp over 20 grns of win 296. out of a smith model 57 as well as a performance center .41 mag both have 8 3/8" barrels. any suggestions for hunting loads?i am always looking to improve. thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Bogie,
I've been shooting a very similar load of 20.9grs for quite awhile with high satisfaction. I've seen data for up to 22.5grs and will be exploring that as well as Lil'gun and a few other propellants over the next month or so. I shoot the .41 out of 4 5/8 and 6 1/2 Blackhawks, a Bisley, a 6" 657 and a new Blackhawk Hunter with the 7 1/2. I've only shot the BHawk Hunter once thus far, at 25yds on an indoor range, and the accuracy is very promising. If you have any interest in shooting medium to near full power loads with cast bullets, AA#7 works very well from what I've done with it. That shooting was done with a 210gr bullet of Keith design. As far as hunting loads go, you can probably bump your load up a grain if you desire. As always, work your way up. I've got some loads for the 290-300gr SSK design bullets if you have an interest in going to a heavy bullet of the cast variety. I've also had very good accuracy with a 220gr SAECO TCGC design I cast myself. I don't consider that bullet to be a very good hunting design, but it's been very accurate for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bogie

i use imr 800x 12.gr with210jspit works well for me but i just use it on small game. use it with lead210 that i cast my self an then mole coat to stop the leading up it shoots 2''left at 50 yards with the lead. gun ruger new modle brase grip frame 4.5/8 b

·
Banned
63 Posts
Paco Kelly, who has articles on Leverguns.com and Sixgunner.com (which may still be in some disarray), has written some of the best stuff I've ever read. I believe he has found Blue Dot to be one of the best for the .41 mag. He has put together loads that made him think Blue Dot was made just for the .41 maggie'.

I recommend you try Blue Dot with some Winchester primers.
It will give you good power levels, as well as accuracy.

Best Regards.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,021 Posts
I have two loads for my Blackhawk 6 1/2" bbl.

1) 170 gr Hornady JHP, 11.3 gr IMR 4756, CCI std primer

2) 232 gr cast SWCGC, 19.0 gr IMR 4227, CCI std primer

·
Registered
362 Posts
Does any know what I could use for a Light load in my .41 Mag. I want to push the 215 gr lead at about 1000fps for fun and small game. I have some AA5 , but the lightest load they list is 10.4gr at 1220 fps. Can I just go lighter, say 9 gr?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Cub:
AA#5 is a coated ball powder and they're all a bit unpreditable when they're underloaded. That's why there's a minimum recommended load. Winchester 231 is uncoated or lightly coated and keeps the burn rate under control by using a bigger ball. I still think it's dirty when it's underloaded.

I'd try one of the faster flake powders like Bullseye, Red Dot or 700-X. There's hardly any light loads for the .41 in my manuals, except for Hodgdon #26. I'd try 6.0 grains of any of those 3 powders.
http://www.imrpowder.com/handgun/41rm_2_data.html

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been using IMR 700-X and Hodgdon's TiteGroup with 210/220 grain Lead, Jacketed and Plated bullets for about a year now. I've not found one load that I really like. I keep going back to using Hodgdons HS-7 and Blue Dot. These powders I like very much!

For more power, I'm using #9, Lil Gun and H4227! I like H4227 the best.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,439 Posts
If you have to buy new powder anyway, Titegroup is great with light loads in big cases. Very consistent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
MikeG said:
If you have to buy new powder anyway, Titegroup is great with light loads in big cases. Very consistent.
In a attempt to amend my earlier remark about TiteGroup, I'd like to find someone that makes 41 caliber bullets that aren't "HardCast". I do think that I could find a lite load that I'd really like!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I will be loading bullets from a company in Nevada. I think it is called Western Nevada Bullets company. I also use a local bullet maker who casts softer, about BHN 16 or so. So I will look into Titegroup and BlueDot and some of those other powders. I am working two loads, a 265-280gr max hunting load. And a 215gr 1000fps "light" load for small game and general shooting. Does anyone know what powder will duplicate my Cor-Bon Factory load 265gr at 1400fps? I think that is a great hunting load, I may step up to the 280gr bullet from Marshall. About what velocity will I get by going up to 280 from the 265 at 1400fps? Thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
For more power, I'm using #9, Lil Gun and H4227! I like H4227 the best.
Ira,
I'm in the process of working up some loads with the H4227 and a 210gr XTP, do you have a load with that that's been a good shooter for you? I'm working with H4227, Lil'Gun. I'm comparing these poweders to H110/WW296 and AA#7 loads that I've been using for awhile. I realize those two powders probably won't have the raw power that H110/WW296 can give, but they shouldn't be too far off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
kciH said:

Ira,
I'm in the process of working up some loads with the H4227 and a 210gr XTP, do you have a load with that that's been a good shooter for you? I'm working with H4227, Lil'Gun. I'm comparing these poweders to H110/WW296 and AA#7 loads that I've been using for awhile. I realize those two powders probably won't have the raw power that H110/WW296 can give, but they shouldn't be too far off.

Thanks.
kciH,
You're right, it doesn't have the raw power of 296/H110 and to be honest rarely do I get to the Max recommendations listed in manuals. I've only just started using H4227 and my current load is at 18.5 grains and am working up. I do like what I've seen so far.

I haven't bought a Chronograph yet, so I tend to load a bunch of rounds (500) at a time. I'm not a super shooter so I give the load a chance before I move up. I use my ruger 4 5/8 more than anything, my smiths are 4 inchers but I don't want to pound them with hard loads all of the time. AA#7 falls into the same group as HS-7 and Blue dot, I think I'd like this powder tool

Sorry to get so windy, but I'm told that's an OKIE attribute. LOL!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here's a good light load for the .41 Mag., I've found.

I use a 215 gr. hardcast SWC, with 8.5 grains Unique, and WW LP primers. Chronographs from my S&W Mdl. 57, 6" bbl, at 900 FPS. Very accurate, and easy on the shooter and the gun.

If you want a little more velocity, kick it up to 9.0 grains and see how it shoots.

This load performs very, very well, also, in my Marlin 1894S .41 Mag.

FWIW

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just tested what I thought would be lite loads. AA #5 at 9, 10.3 and 10.5 gr under a 215gr lead bullet. Gave me 1050 fps to 1170 fps. Not exactly "lite". So I bought a can of new unique. No Titegroup around here. I will see if I can get something around 800 fps out of it.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just tried out a load with 7.5 grns of green dot with a 210 grn cast bullet. i think its about as lite as i can go .. i will have crony records here soon..later

·
Registered
311 Posts
I too have become a fan of the AA powders. I use A # 7 in every thing. A 9 grain load for fun in the .41 (657 and Blackhawk) and 14 grs when I get serious. It seems to be a quieter, more gentle powder than 4227 or W296. In an attempt to keep as many things consistant as possible, I shoot only CCI 350 primers, only 230 gr Keith bullets out of WW cases.
I let a TC 41 mag 10" barrel get away on E-bay for $125. I'm still having bad dreams about that.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
old jim

i am not a TC fan(it may be just a matter of time) but i think it would have given me bad dreams too if i would have lost that one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts