Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A NEW RUGER BLACKHAWK IN THE .41 REM MAG 7.5 BARREL. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION ON THIS AND COMPARED TO THE .44. I WANT TO USE THIS HANDGUN FOR DEER THIS FALL, OR SHOULD I BAG THE IDEA AND JUST BUY A .44? ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED.
JOE

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Joe,
I have 4 Rugers single actions in .41 mag, so maybe I'm biased. The .41 mag will get it done on deer to any reasonable range that you would use a revolver for. The .41 mag is an excellent round that gives up very little to the .44 when loaded equally. The recoil with full power factory ammunition is a bit less with the .41 making it more pleasant to shoot than the .44 in equal weight handguns. The only downside to the .41 is that it does not have the vast offering of factory ammunition that the .44 does, but there are enough offerings for what you want to do. If you are a handloader, you can load the .41 to levels beyond the performance level of most factory .44 ammunition if you desire. Which revolver are you looking at that has a 7.5" barrel? I'm only aware of the discontinued Bisley and the limited-run Blackhawk Hunter having 7.5" barrels. The standard Blackhawk comes in 4 5/8" and 6 1/2" In summary, the 41 will get it done!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I second what kciH had to say about the .41 Mag. I have a Blackhawk with the 6 1/2" barrel and a M657 with a 3" barrel, the first for hunting and the second is my traveling companion. I just obtained one of the new Marlin M1894FG carbines, and mine seems to like shooting both lead and jacketed bullets in the 210-215 grain range - it didn't like the 170 grain WW ST at all. The only 7 1/2" barrel Ruger in .41 Mag I have heard about lately is the Blackhawk Hunter. My dealer told me yesterday that Accusport is about to obtain a run of Bisley Grip Stainless Steel Blackhawks with 5 1/2" barrels in the .41 mag. That ought to be a fine handgun. Odessa

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
Have been a 41mag fan for a bit more than 20 years. Loading max. has changed over hte years, but I worked up to 18.5gr. of 2400 under a 210gr. SWC years agao, and while some manulas have backed down from this level over the years, I haven't. May be too much for some revolvers, but so far it hasn't ruined the 57's that it gets used in.

When I bought the fist /41mag., also bought two WC .410" mods...a solid base and a HBWC mold. They don't get shot at this level, but they do get used as well. Generally they see 6-7gr. of Red Dot as target loads (target loads with a bit of thump).

Turned a new base pin for the HBWC mold and some times cast a HBWC that runs 265gr. and load it reversed (as a big HP) over all the IMR4227 that will fit under the seated bullet (right at 19.3gr. with an AOL of 1.43"). This earns 1170fps from the 6" 57 and when it contacts a close range deer, penetrates about 6" before losing the hollow point nose(wich is genrally in the internal organs)...but the shank still runs 195gr. and exits. Shaped like a bick, ti has a hoorible down range drop, but at close ranges it kills deer great.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Like the other guys said a .41 is hard to beat. Have had several and just got another New Model Black Hawk with 6.5 bbl. The only changes I made were a set of houge grips and put a Super Blackhawk Hammer in it so I had a little more metal to get my thumb on. Its a simple drop in converson. My 41 is my field gun, carry 2 rounds of snake shot (live in rattler country), and 4 rounds of 215 swc gc hard cast. It will stop anything that slithers on the ground or walks on 2 or 4 legs. Felt recoil is less than the 44 mag, and a little flatter shooting than the 44.

Gun Runner

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,019 Posts
The .41 Mag commands a small but fanatic loyal following. My old 3-screw Blackhawk (unmodified) with 6 1/2" bbl gets fed either 170 gr Hornady JHP's over 11.3 gr of IMR4756 and CCI std primer, or the 232 gr SWGC, 19.0 gr IMR4227 and the Win std primer. With the addition of smooth simulated ivory grips, the pistol just rocks in the hand and felt recoil is moderate. Only animal falling to it was a 13 13/16ths" mountain lion. Big ol' bugger that had been munching on a friend's calf crop. Put paid on him with the Hornady JHP's and 2 lung shots.

With this handgun, I feel no need to acquire any larger or more potent ones. It's accuracy and power is perfectly suitable for my type of useage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts