Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never loaded for this cartridge and don't know how to tell when I have crimped the bullet to factory crimp. Has anyone loaded this cartridge and can help me? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I don;t load for .41, but I do for the .44 magnum. Using the Lee Factory Crimp die, I adjust it in a little at a time until I reached a tight crimp that did not bulge the case. Once it's set, and once you've crimped a few, the die can remain set, or if it needs any adjustment, you'll pretty much be able to guage it rather quickly. The first few will get the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
First, welcome aboard.

If you haven't reloaded for it, you undoubtedly have factory ammo on hand. Just match the crimp you see on that. Run a fingernail up the case; that's actually a quite effective way to make the comparison. Or just eyeball the change in light across the crimp. Again, it's more accurate than you'd believe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am a fan of the .41mag and have reloaded for the .44mag as well. I agree with the above posts as being the best way to approach the task. With experience you will develop a "feel" for the right crimp. Resist the temptation to overcrimp.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,965 Posts
Using both cast and jacketed bullets in my 41 Mag BH, I've never had a problem with even heavy loads when following the above advice. If you see a noticible bulge in the crimp and the cartridges is difficult or won't chamber, its overcrimped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts