Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recieved my fathers estate and tucked away he has a box of 25 Shotgun Shells .410 m-35, from Western Cartridge Co.

The box is in pretty bad shape, but im pretties sure they are my great grandfathers, who was military, and I have no clue what firearm they are for and I am looking for more answers. I am not sure what I plan on doing with them, but firing them is NOT on the list.

Please Hive Mind, help me.
Wood Font Paper bag Packaging and labeling Paper product

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I recently recieved my fathers estate and tucked away he has a box of 25 Shotgun Shells .410 m-35, from Western Cartridge Co.

The box is in pretty bad shape, but im pretties sure they are my great grandfathers, who was military, and I have no clue what firearm they are for and I am looking for more answers. I am not sure what I plan on doing with them, but firing them is NOT on the list.

Please Hive Mind, help me. View attachment 105297
They are probably Brass, but some .410 shotsells were made from Aluminum although they were not intended for reloading. Brass shells were popular for a time as paper shells could swell under high humidity or if they got wet. Brass shotgun shells somewhat fell out of favor but are still used quite extensively in Cowboy shoots.

Nothing overly special about them, but a neat find nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
Those are GI survival gun shells. A military collector would love them. It would be nice to see the base and sides of them. Look to be zinc cases.

·
Premium Member
17,305 Posts
There were several guns made for that ammo for air crews. One was very much like the civvy 'Bronco'. A pull apart and swivel breech. The rare one is .410-22Hornet O/U. There were several break-open guns that folded all the way in half. All were for survival if stranded. Even the .22LR ammo was FMJ in keeping with the Geneva Convention. One of my former bosses was a collector of Springfield military 'Arms & Oddities' was the name of his display. Lots of survival guns, saws, axes, match cases, silk maps, flare guns....he had it all.

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
As a follow up, it seems that lot numbers not too far off from yours was made in the mid 1950's. Maybe that info can help you date from which relative they came. Would seem to be 'too new' for it to have come from a great grand parent (unless you are very young?).

Here are some references:
Western .410 M35 Sealed Box Survival Gun Shotshell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts