Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a recipe for 410 bore 3 inch using alliant 2400 0r 410 powder. The hulls are remington.ww primer and waa410 wads. Any help appreciated. Wire nut

·
Registered
416 Posts
Closa as I have is this, from Alliant's Reloaders' Guide, 2004 Edition:

Remington 3" Hull
Remington 97* Primer
14.5 Grains 2400
WAA41 Wad
2/3 Ounce Shot
1,135FPS - 12,300 PSI

DC

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Last time I reloaded 410 shells despite what the manufacturers published one could not fit all the components into a shell and crimp. Found it necessary to adjust the powder number until the right combinations were found. Believe powder used was H110. Its quite a common problem in the smaller gauges for some reason which assume has to do with different lots of powder. Have same problems with 28 gauge shells but found different powder solved problem there also. In case your wondering these are powders recommended by there manufacturers. Never used the new 410 powder yet as still have lots of skeet loads loaded.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I once reloaded for my .410 3" shotgun, but stopped when "they" dropped the 3" 3/4 oz plastic shot wad. Now all you can find is the shot wad that only handles 1/2 oz loads. I used 2400 when I reloaded along with 3/4 oz of #5 shot.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I'd sure shoot my 410 more if I had a loader for it. Old Lee loaders sell for more than I'm willing to pay. Been "pondering" some on making my own tools for awhile. Balance of personal economics kinda get in the way! 12 or 20 gauge are just cheaper. Are also "over-kill" for some of my applications.

Good luck with your search.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
84 Posts
I load a little bit for my 410...I use either H110 or Alliant 410 powder (both powders throw an acceptable weight with the same bushing...I can't remember exactly what the grain weight is, without looking in my book)

Considering that a box of 410 shells is about 5 dollars more than a box of 12 or 20 gage, it only makes sense to reload this caliber!

I would load more for it....but the only gun I have is a "Snake Charmer" survival gun....hardly a skeet or hunting gun by any means. Still, I like to take the 410 out in the boat, and launch clays and try to hit them with that little gun, just for a challenge. (Yes, I have a skeet thrower mounted on the bow of my boat....it fits right in the pole mount for the bow seat...and I rigged a foot pedal with a cable, to trip the launcher, it's a blast!!)

You can purchase a MEC loader for about 175 dollars, BTW

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheezywan. I have made several tools to use. I made my own resizer by drilling a hole in a piece of 1/8 inch metal. It will resize back to within .001 inch. I use an old MEC press to push the hulls through the plate. If you would like to know the size drill bit I will have to look an check the size. To crimp I am roll crimping. Not very good results yet. Still working on the correct lenght to cut the hull. Thanks DMC for the recipe. Will try it later this summer. Wire nuy

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Good idea there wire nut. Mine is a single-shot, so I might get away with no sizing at all. Crimp is allways the hard part.

Cheezywan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts