Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently come in to possession of my grandfather's 1935-made Winchester Model 42 .410 shotgun. This is a 3"-chambered gun, modified choke, and is the gun I used 52 years ago to kill my first game animal (an unlucky rabbit). The gun was seriously sorry cosmetically when I got it, rusty and filthy, and devoid of oil inside and out; but a 100% teardown/clean/lube revealed it to be mechanically perfect.

If I had the $$$, I might have this one professionally restored. It has pretty fair value as a collectible; but it's always been a shooter, and I want to keep it a shooter, and a professional rehab wouldn't make it any more of a shooter than it is right now. And besides, most of that use and abuse it has seen was Grandaddy's, and there's a good deal of sentiment there.

So what I did to it is what I call a "refresh". Enough cold blue was put on the metal to make the finish look a little less scabrous, and a few thin coats of Tru Oil were rubbed in and then buffed with 0000. Rather than a poorly-maintained 75-year-old shotgun, it looks like a well-maintained one.

If you wonder how it shoots, I'll just say that the #6 shot Remington Express 3" load patterned at 30 yards has me planning to take a Spring turkey with it next April. I have never seen a denser, more evenly-spaced shot pattern from any shotgun of any gauge. Most of my turkey hunting is done at close ranges, and I don't think this gun will give me any handicap whatsoever. And it sure will be a ton lighter to carry in rough country than the full-choked 12 ga. 30" Model 12 (1941) I have (that used to belong to my other grandfather!).

Has anyone here ever .410'd for turkey?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Here, in Kentucky, a .410 would be illegal for Turkey. Most here use a 3" 20 gauge or 12 gauge Turkey load. Some of the more "brave Hunters" use the 3 1/2" 12 gauge and endure it's heavy recoil! :eek:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,651 Posts
Shot my last one with a .270 :eek: :D but hey, I'm rooting for you. Get out and whack one for ol' Grandad......

·
Registered
273 Posts
My youngest son started out turkey hunting with a Rossi stainless youth .410. He was too small for anything else. He killed his 1st three Toms with it. All one shot kills. I made sure they were under 20 yards. No. 6 shot in Rem. 3in. He now uses a Moss. Youth 20 pump but has also killed his biggest Tom with my 11/87 SPS. Keep the shots close and it will work great.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here, in Kentucky, a .410 would be illegal for Turkey. Most here use a 3" 20 gauge or 12 gauge Turkey load. Some of the more "brave Hunters" use the 3 1/2" 12 gauge and endure it's heavy recoil! :eek:
Perfectly legal here. Our only restriction on guns is no rifles for turkey hunting. I have killed many with #6 loads in a 12 ga. muzzleloader that doesn't pattern half as well as this gun, so I know it's "enough gun" for the job.

I know what you mean about those long magnums! I shot my cousin's Mossberg "assault shotgun" yesterday (complete with laser sight and AR15-style collapsible stock). All the ammo he had with him was some 3" magnum OO buck loads. No question about it, that gun is a killer at both ends!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Pisgah, you've got enough gumption to know what your limitations will be with that 42 and whatever shell you choose. You certainly know what it takes to kill a turkey. If you think it'll work, try it!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Pisgah,

Congrats on fixing the old gal up and good luck next season with it. You know your limitations so it should work fine.

CD

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Shot my last one with a .270 :eek: :D but hey, I'm rooting for you. Get out and whack one for ol' Grandad......
Wish we could use rifles for Turkeys here in Ky. The ones I see are almost always out-of-range for shotguns. I got a Kimber .22 Hornet that would be perfect with the right load.:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Has to be 28 gauge or larger for turkeys here in Tennessee. Iv seen some people load down 20 ga shells that did a number on turkeys at around 15-20 yards. Keep your shots close and you should be good to go with the mighty .410

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Inside 30 yards or so I see nothing wrong with the .410 on turkey. I have a double SXS .410 and I stumbled onto turkey by accident one day. At about 20 yards I just pulled both triggers. Worked well, but would have been as good with one. Try some of the Winchester 3/4 oz #6 loads.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't think of but one turkey I ever killed that was farther than 30 yards away. For the most part, our habitat won't allow shots much longer, and a #5 or #6 pellet at those ranges doesn't know whether it came out of a .410 or a 3 1/2" Magnum 12 ga. -- and neither does the turkey.

I definitely plan on doing more patterning between now and April. No matter the gun, a fraction tighter pattern is always an improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts