Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just looking at the Barnes site...they list a 300gr X-Bullet for the .405. Anyone tried it? Should be a great penetrator for the toughest game.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I haven't, but did order 2 boxes of the .411 400 grain X's. I hope I can get them to work. Swift has some A Frames that ought to be pretty good too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swift??? Were do you come up with this stuff? I have cheched all my source short of calling the company (they are closed) and all I can find from either company are .416 for Swift and on the Barnes web sight, a 300gr (not 400gr) .411 X-bullet. Were are you finding this info?

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Hmmm,
Well I ordered some of the 400 grain Barnes X last week, but see that it isn't listed anymore on their website. Also got a bunch a couple of boxes of the 350 grain Swift A Frame last summer, but don't see them listed any more at Huntingdon's. I'll keep digging around and see if I can come up with place that has some leftovers. I do know that Woodleigh is still making the 400 grain in 411, it's what Holland and Holland is using for their new 400 H&H Mag. I do some scrounging and see if I can't find some more.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with Barnes, they used to make .411 in 300, 325, 350 and 400 gr weights. Now all they make are 300gr. They still have 350 and 400 Available (25-30) boxes of each. Of course they have 300 also.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the Swifts? I think I will order a box of the 350 barnes. They will be pretty slow though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off the phone with Swift. They used to make the .411 in 350 and 400gr. They dropped it some time ago. I told them to bring it back in a weight light enough for the .405 Win. She said she would mention it at the production meeting Monday.She has one box of 400s left if you want it. Barnes has 350 and 400gr instock. If you need either # to call let me know.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
CUB,
I got nervous and ordered a couple more boxes of the X's in 350 and 400.

I'm still looking for the Swift, and not having any luck. Are you interested in Woodleigh? The are quite a bit more expensive than the Swift, but everyone seems to really like them.

Just a footnote, these bullets are all designed to perform at 450/400 velocities. I think that was really the only commercial loading of the 411 caliber before the reintroduction of the 405 Winchester. The Woodleigh's, Barnes and other "Premium" bullets, I would think, would still be designed for those velocities as the 450/400 and the 400 H&H are pretty much identical.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Cub,
Please let me know what those #'s are. I'd love to get my hands on what Swift's are remaining.

Thanks for contacting them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swift 785-754-3959 And when you call, ask them to bring back something light enough for the .405, say 325gr or less.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Sure thing. Thanks so much for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts