Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some hot loads for the 416 rigy. I have a ruger #1. Looking to load 400 gn bullets above the 2400fps mark. I've been told you can achieve 416 weatherby velocity but was curious on what you guys are loading. I know the high velocity is not needed but I like to play around with big bores. Thanks for any info.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Wammerbie Vels ???

I have been pondering picking up a bbl for my Pro Hunter chambered in 416 Rigby. I like the design of the case and the ability to load up or waaaay down. What has stopped me so far is the price of brass and the availability and expense of bullets.

Use Google to find loads for the chambering. Reloaders Nest is one and there are several other sites dedicated to loads for most all chamberings.

I would be surprised if you could bring the Rigby up to Weatherby vels unless you performed something "magical". But.....no matter....it will kill anything anyway. ----pruhdlr

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have some pretty hot loads for the 300 grain Barnes bullet if you care. The 300 grain was the lightest bullet I could fing for the 416 Rigby and it is what I use for deer and bear when I use that rifle. Let me know if you would like those loads.
Good luck,

Kudu40

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I was looking for some hot loads for the 416 rigy. I have a ruger #1. Looking to load 400 gn bullets above the 2400fps mark. I've been told you can achieve 416 weatherby velocity but was curious on what you guys are loading. I know the high velocity is not needed but I like to play around with big bores. Thanks for any info.

One can approach 416 Weatherby velocities, not equal. The Rigby case is not designed for the pressure that the Weatherby is loaded to aand the case capacity is a bit different.
Most loading manuels will show the loads that approach Weatherby speeds...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm definetly interested, kudu40. I have multiple manuals and none of them go over 2400fps which is the factory loading. I've been told that I can push a 400gn bullet to 2650 with the right powder. What is the best brass to use for hot loads? Whats the best powder? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have some pretty hot loads for the 300 grain Barnes bullet if you care. The 300 grain was the lightest bullet I could fing for the 416 Rigby and it is what I use for deer and bear when I use that rifle. Let me know if you would like those loads.
Good luck,

Kudu40

Barnes does not make the 300 grainer any more. The 300 grain X was Randy Brooks favorite weight in the 416, but he stop making them , because he didn't sell enough to make it worth while to produce

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'm definetly interested, kudu40. I have multiple manuals and none of them go over 2400fps which is the factory loading. I've been told that I can push a 400gn bullet to 2650 with the right powder. What is the best brass to use for hot loads? Whats the best powder? Thanks for any help.

2600 FPS but 2650 is really leaning on the Rigby. Even the 416 Weatherby in accutal rifles is often in the 2600 FPS range. Not sure why you want to drive a 400 grainer that fast. The 416's stellar reputation was with 400 grainers at about 2350 to 2370 FPS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont need to and I wont if its unsafe. Just trying to learn the limits of the cartrigde. Is hornady brass good or is the norma brass better? I've used hornady in my 300 wby and my 458 lott with good results, but I've heard mix results on the 416 rigby brass.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I dont need to and I wont if its unsafe. Just trying to learn the limits of the cartrigde. Is hornady brass good or is the norma brass better? I've used hornady in my 300 wby and my 458 lott with good results, but I've heard mix results on the 416 rigby brass.

Norma brass is good and all indication are that Hornady brass is as well. The problem is that the 416 was designed to operate in the 40,000 PSI range not in the 60,000 plus PSI range and the brass is designed and manufactured acordingly

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I fyou work up and follow safe re-loading practices you can lean on the Rigby fairly hard and get some impressive speeds, The brass at traditional Rigby speeds last a long time, but when you lean on it brass life will certainly suffer. Even a 416 Weatherby will not have as long of brass life at top speeds as it will throtled back a bit.
I have 2 416 Rigby's and from a performance stand point of taking game traditinal speeds offer great field performance in my experience and the experience of others that have used it.

You are very welcome and I hope that iIanswered your question to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
416 Rigby loads

If this post is still active I have a load for the 416 Rigby using 300 gr barnes. I'm also getting some bullets from South Africa that are 245 gr that are supposed to work very well. If anyone is interested I'll keep you updated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.