Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to discuss handloading for the 416 Taylor. I built one on a VZ-24 Mauser, its finished and ready to fire, now for some good safe loads. I'll be using 458 Win Mag brass necked down, CCI 250 primers, IMR 4320 powder, and Hornady 400 grain RN Softpoints. Got any experience with the 416 Taylor, good or bad? Thanks, DANIEL BLUE.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Since you are forming your own cases, you need to measure the case water capacity. It affects pressure in rough proportion to the square of the difference in capacity from a standard case's capacity, which I have as 92 grains of water for that cartridge.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that is not based on published loads for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information.

I have no personal experience with the round and I see it's not exactly prominently featured in load manuals. The only way I have of getting an estimate in that instance is with the QuickLOAD computer program.

Hornady has two bullets fitting your description, the Interlock and the more expensive Interbond. Both have their cannelures 0.745" back from the nose, and that design will give you 3.235" COL if your cases are trimmed back 0.010" from maximum to 2.490" (standard practice). With QuickLOAD's default settings for the cartridge (92 grain case water capacity) the program predicts you can fill the space under the bullet with IMR 4320, but your starting load would be 61.2 grains. You should work up in increments of no more than 0.5 grains, watching for pressure signs. You should be able to get to something about 11% higher than the start load, but don't count on that. All guns are a law unto themselves.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Daniel,
I have pressure tested data for the 416Taylor which I worked up in my rifle with 24" barrel many a moon ago.
The loads I have are as follows:
458 Win cases, WLRM primer, 400grSP, RE15: Start 71gr @ 2300fps/Max 75gr @ 2395fps.
" , " , " , Varget: Start 70gr @ 2265fps/Max 74gr @ 2450fps.
" , " , " , IMR4064: Start 66gr @ 2240fps/Max 70gr @ 2400fps.
" , " , " , IMR4320: Start 71gr @ 2315fps/Max 75gr @ 2360fps.
" , " , " , Win748: Start 71gr @ 2170fps/Max 76gr @ 2380fps.
Hope this all helps you out!
I owned one for some time and found it to be a pleasant cartridge to load for, nothing finnicky about it at all, and it would digest any load without hassle.
I think you'll like it immensely!

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
MM,

Were the 458 WM cases Winchester brand? Do you have the bullet length or make and COL handy? I was getting full pressure numbers with more like 68 grains of 4320 on the computer, so I'm looking to see whether the bullet, brass, or COL are part of the reason? Also, I was using a CIP peak pressure limit (all I have) of 4400 bar which is 63,817 psi. Would you mind sharing the pressure test range and measuring method used for your ammo?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I had a 416 Taylor built on a Mod 98 action and fooled around with it over the years. I've used 338 WM, 458 WM, and A-Square 416 Taylor brass. My loading records show I wasn't very diligent about keeping track of brass pedigree. However, early loading efforts with the 400 gr RN were with 338 WM Win brass. I used RL-15, CCI 250 primer and started with 72.5 grs, avg'ing around 2275 fps, ending with 73.5 grs and avg'ing around 2310 fps. That's from a 24" barrel in 70F temps. Honestly, I don't have many records on loadings with this bullet and other components.

I did spend more time with the 350 gr Speer mag tip, with A-Square brass. Again, RL-15 & CCI 250. Settled on a load of 73.0 grs, and with a finicky chrono that day, getting around 2300 fps.

CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that is not based on published loads for the cartridge(s) mentioned. Neither the writer, The Shooter's Forum, nor the staff of The Shooter's Forum assume any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information.

·
Registered
706 Posts
MM,

Were the 458 WM cases Winchester brand? Do you have the bullet length or make and COL handy? I was getting full pressure numbers with more like 68 grains of 4320 on the computer, so I'm looking to see whether the bullet, brass, or COL are part of the reason? Also, I was using a CIP peak pressure limit (all I have) of 4400 bar which is 63,817 psi. Would you mind sharing the pressure test range and measuring method used for your ammo?
Unclenick,
As stated in my post the brass was Win cases.
The only bullet that I used was the 400gr SP "Kynoch", that's all that was available back then, and the loads are from an Australian manual which I used.
I think the COL I used was 3.400", but my records for that cartridge are incomplete, the rifle was a Mauser '98 custom, barrel was 24".
I was able to run them as they are with no pressure problems. I do not have one of the "Kynoch" bullets to measure, but it is very similar to the Woodleigh 410gr SPRN.

I didn't personally measure the pressure of these loads, but they were safe in my rifle.
I am unsure of how the data was tested, whether CUP or PSI, but it has been printed the same right up to the current manual without change. It does not print the actual pressure obtained!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts