Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 416 Taylor barrel and a Mauser Mark X action ready to send off to the gunsmith for installation and blueing. I'm looking for scope (and rings and bases) and stock recommendations.

For scopes, I'm considering purchasing a (used) Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x33. Would that be a suitable scope? Any ideas on bases and rings?

For a stock, I'm considering a Boyd's JRS stock.

Any help or comments welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Chris Ebert

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you about the stock, with the exception of making sure you get one that handles recoil well. Perhaps the stockmaker could recommend something, they often have the best insight as to the suitable use of a particular product.

As to the scope, I would make sure that you get the maximum eye relief available. Looking at Leupolds website it looks like this scope does have pretty good eye relief, ranging from 3.8-4.9 inches, which is about as good as it gets. On heavy rifles that will be used out to 200 yds a reciever peep sight is an excellent choice. You don't have to worry about them hitting you in the eyebrow when you fire off the bench or from prone, not that you'd want to be firing this rifle frequently from either of those positions!:) I guess it all depends what you want to use the rifle for. For hunting I would personally get a high quality peep that has a removable aperature for close in shooting.

I've always had good luck with Leupold and Burris scope rings and bases. I would look for a dual dovetail system with a heavy kicker like this. I would look for a 1 peice base even though they are not as attractive or light as a two piece. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those brands in a dual dovetail setup. It would be best to go to a good stocking gun dealer for this because I have had some issues with bases fitting Mauser actions before. Being that yours is a Mark X this shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the new cannon!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I agree with kciH on the scope. A low to medium power, say 1.5-5x or 1.75-6x Vari-X III Leupold has great clarity, brightness and eye relief. I use both of these scopes and really, of the two, prefer the 1.5-5x. Not for any real reason, just because it looks better on a DGR.

The Leupolds are rugged and should not have any problems withstanding the recoil generated by the 416. I've had them on 338's, 8mm Mags, 300 Mags, and one 416 Rigby. Never had a problem with scope quality and have never been cut.

On heavy recoiling rifles, I really prefer a classic styled stock. I believe Ruger's design is the best I've used, so far. Granted you can really go custom and get one that has some cast to it, but affordable wood or synthethic, the classic design like Ruger's wood or McMillan's synthetic is hard to beat.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
I put a Leupold 1.5x5 Vari-X III with Warne bases & rings on my Mark X .458 Win Mag. This is 5+ inches of eye relief!

Very happy with it, there is so much eye relief that I could slide the scope forward till the rear bell was at the back of the ring. So it can't slip, and isn't likely to whack me in the head either.

The Warne rings & bases appear to be well made, and both rings take recoil, like a dual-dovetail, but I have the advantage of the whole setup being quick-detach.

This is also a fairly light scope with a 20mm front objective, and I can tell you from using it at night it works surprisingly well. For me the best combination of brightness/clarity was about the middle of the power range, when hunting at night with moonlight or very minimal lighting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll keep my eyes open for a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x.

Thanks,
Chris Ebert

·
Registered
98 Posts
My .338 sako carbine has a leupold 2x7 varix II. Works great holds up to the recoil. Get good mounts and rings.

Eric

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have to go with the Leupold 1.5x - 5x Vari-X III with the heavy duplex for a scope and QR rings if you have iron sights. If I were you I'd also check out the McMillan stocks with a decellerator pad installed on it. They are great stocks (I've got 3 of them) and they sometimes have internet specials on stocks. Worth a look. CEJ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts